Principal Counsel, Freeform & Onyx CollectiveApply NowApply Later Job ID 930486BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted May 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
About Onyx Collective
Onyx Collective is a new content brand formed under Disney General Entertainment Content (DGE) designed to curate a slate of premium entertainment programming by creators of color and underrepresented voices. Onyx Collective’s debut project, Questlove’s Oscar®-winning documentary “Summer of Soul (...or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised),” debut July 2021 on Hulu. The brand’s roster of prolific creators also includes writer and comedian Natasha Rothwell (“Insecure,” “SNL”), writer, producer and director Prentice Penny’s Penny for Your Thoughts, Ryan Coogler’s Proximity Media (“Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Black Panther”) and writer and director Destin Daniel Cretton (“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings”) and his production company Family Owned.
Freeform’s distinct brand of coming-of-age programming helps to position it as the No. 1 primetime cable network in entertainment among Adults, Women and Men 18-34 in the 2021/2022 TV season to date. Connecting to audiences with its bold original programming and immersive social engagement, Freeform channels the force and momentum of its young adult audience in its quest for progress with authentic, groundbreaking original series such as Emmy®-nominated “grown-ish,” “Good Trouble,” “Motherland: Fort Salem,” “Single Drunk Female” and “Cruel Summer,” which was the No. 1 new cable drama of 2021 among Women 18-34. Last year, Freeform aired four of the Top 15 scripted cable original series among Women 18-34 — more than any other network, with “grown-ish” ranking as cable’s No. 1 live-action comedy series of the year in the demo.
This role will provide support in structuring, negotiating, drafting and advising on deals relating to the development and production of scripted and unscripted television and streaming programming, and will serve as lead production counsel for several television series.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of entertainment agreements involving the development and production of original live action programming for exhibition on Freeform and Hulu.
- Provide strategic advice to business, casting, creative, production and finance executives regarding legal matters related to production, intellectual property concerns, chain of title issues, pay equity guidance, and other deal-related, strategic and compliance issues related to the production of scripted programming.
- Act as production counsel for scripted pilots and series and for unscripted content, including analysis and advice in connection with intellectual property matters, claims, clearances, defamation, rights of publicity and privacy and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of a large television studio.
- Provide counsel to creative, business affairs and television writers and producers with respect to complex, original and fact-based projects.
- Work closely with the Litigation Department and outside counsel on litigation matters, with the Labor Department on collective bargaining employment issues, and with the corporate Intellectual Property group in managing intellectual property issues, including anti-piracy, title, character and script clearance and music issues
- JD degree and a minimum of 8 years of combined experience at a law firm and/or network/studio.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Superior negotiation, drafting, and writing skills; as well as ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, prioritization and time management skills, along with the ability to work under tight deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high-volume projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional ability to respond to and interact with creative and business executives at all levels of seniority and any degree of familiarity with legal issues in a manner that is personable, professional, and useful.
- Exceptional facility with spotting issues, assessing and communicating risks, making common-sense decisions, and finding flexible/creative solutions to achieve business goals.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer with enthusiasm for developing skills and experience alongside an evolving business with innovative ideas.
- Prior production legal experience preferred.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
Additional Information:#legalaffairs #corp_media #li-jb3
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.