Principal Counsel – Intellectual PropertyApply NowApply Later Job ID 770946BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jan. 12, 2021
Do you enjoy analyzing intellectual property issues for a creative and dynamic business? Are you known for collaborative problem-solving in consultation with business and legal partners around the world? The Disney Corporate Legal Department, Trademark & Copyright Group, is seeking highly qualified candidates for a position as Principal Counsel advising its businesses on trademark, right of publicity and copyright issues and managing the Company’s trademark portfolios.
Disney is one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry today. At Corporate, you’ll work across different lines of business in the Company on issues related to IP development, clearance, acquisition, protection, and management. You will work on cutting edge ideas and initiatives with supportive colleagues across the globe.
The position will be primarily responsible for trademark, copyright, and right of publicity clearances and trademark prosecution related to the Consumer Products, Publishing, and Interactive Games businesses. The position will involve careful analysis of legal risk, and engagement with business and legal clients on strategic solutions. An ideal candidate will also have experience managing intellectual property disputes, and reviewing and drafting IP related language in licensing and other agreements.
- Counsel Consumer Products business on numerous intellectual property matters, including trademark, copyright, and right of publicity issues.
- Manage trademark filing programs; trademark clearances; trademark opposition practice; supervision and management of in-house trademark paralegal staff and outside counsel in multiple countries.
- Consult regarding legal developments in multiple countries on trademark and copyright issues, and providing training about the same to relevant stakeholders.
- Advise on and draft IP related language in licensing and other agreements, including trademark indemnities.
- Analyze and resolve intellectual property claims.
- Minimum of 8+ years of IP experience (transactional or litigation) with a Law Firm and/or in-house at a company with a global trademark portfolio.
- Experience handling trademark, copyright and right of publicity issues.
- Knowledge of First Amendment and fair use issues as related to intellectual property law.
- Experience working with and managing paralegals.
- Experience giving presentations and public speaking. This position involves educating business clients on intellectual property topics from time to time.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risk; exercise sound legal judgment; and advise business executives and other attorneys on IP issues.
- Ability to work independently and with supervision from senior attorney(s) as needed.
- Excellent work ethic; Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work quickly, efficiently, and collaboratively under multiple, high-priority deadlines.
- A collegial and collaborative approach to delivering outstanding results while building a positive working environment with clients and colleagues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts and practical issues effectively with all levels of management, as well as a knack for building client relationships and diplomatic, creative resolution of conflicting needs.
- Technology-forward attorney who is unafraid of technological advancements in the intellectual property portfolio and workflow management systems. Experience with Anaqua docketing system is helpful.
- Admission to California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
- Law degree from an accredited law school.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.