Principal Counsel – Intellectual PropertyApply NowApply Later Job ID 791532BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted May 26, 2021
Disney is one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry today. At Corporate, you’ll work across different lines of business across the Company on issues related to IP development, clearance, acquisition, protection, and management. We work on cutting edge ideas and initiatives with supportive colleagues across the enterprise globally.
The position will be primarily responsible for advising on a range of copyright, right of publicity and trademark issues related to the development, production, marketing and distribution of motion pictures, online content, games, and related consumer products. The position will provide support and strategic legal advice to business units on copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and related legal questions and tasks, such as analyzing complex rights matters, reviewing and drafting IP related language for agreements, analyzing IP issues related to emerging technologies and other strategic business initiatives.
- Provide counseling to clients on numerous intellectual property matters, including copyright, trademark, and right of publicity issues.
- Analyze and advise on complex rights questions.
- Advise on IP aspects of legal agreements.
- Perform trademark clearances; some trademark prosecution; supervision and work with in-house IP paralegal staff and outside counsel in multiple countries.
- Consultation regarding legal developments in multiple countries on trademark and copyright issues.
- Analyze and resolve intellectual property claims.
- Minimum of [8+] years of IP experience (transactional or litigation) with a law firm and/or in-house department
- Experience handling copyright, trademark and right of publicity issues.
- Knowledge of First Amendment and fair use issues as related to intellectual property law.
- Familiarity with social media and other content applications and platforms
- Experience working with and managing paralegals.
- Experience giving presentations and public speaking. This position involves educating business units on intellectual property topics from time to time.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risk; exercise sound legal judgment; and advise business executives and other attorneys on IP issues.
- Ability to work independently and with supervision from senior attorney(s).
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work quickly, efficiently, and collaboratively under multiple, high-priority deadlines.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer who is committed to delivering outstanding results for his or her clients and The Walt Disney Company while building a positive working environment with clients and colleagues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate complex concepts and practical issues effectively with all levels of management, as well as a knack for smooth client relationships and diplomatic, creative resolution of conflicting needs.
- Excellent work ethic and interpersonal skills, including a healthy sense of humor and the ability to build professional, interdepartmental relationships at multiple levels.
- Admission to California State Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
- Experience at a major law firm and/or in-house experience at a major multi-national Company.
- Experience representing a major consumer brand or entertainment IP owner.
- Adaptability to changes in workflow and intellectual property related support systems and technology is critical.
- Technology-forward attorney.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.