Principal Counsel, Legal Affairs – Searchlight PicturesApply NowApply Later Job ID 932924BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Feb. 17, 2022
- Provide legal analysis relating to status of rights, copyright, and other chain-of-title review; draft and negotiate rights acquisition agreements for literary rights and other third party intellectual property; prepare consulting agreements and releases from individuals for films based on true stories; draft and negotiate other rights agreements such as quitclaims and assignments.
- Draft and negotiate agreements relating to third party acquisitions, co-productions, co-financings, and/or distribution agreements including inter-creditor agreements, copyright mortgages, and other security agreements.
- Draft and negotiate agreements for directors, producers, writers, above-the-line cast, and other production personnel.
- Provide counsel on various matters relating to production of feature films, including but not limited to: production legal matters and agreements, script/film clearances, labor relations/collective bargaining agreements, engagement of minors, immigration, customs, environmental regulations, review titles, and credits
- Provide advice and assistance relating to talent agreements and production matters impacting marketing, promotions, publicity, distribution, and ancillary rights exploitation.
- Draft and negotiate production/financing/distribution agreements, production services agreements, lending and assignment agreements, and related corporate set-up documents; collaborate with tax and finance regarding best corporate structure for individual pictures (domestic and international) and production incentive regulations and agreements.
- Draft and negotiate confidentiality agreements, submission releases, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Serve as a resource to other attorneys in the department and, assist in training and mentoring more junior attorneys.
- JD degree. Admission to California State Bar Association (or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel) and law degree from an accredited law school.
- Minimum 8-10 years of significant legal experience with a minimum of 5 years in the entertainment industry.
- Superior drafting, negotiation, communication, and organizational skills.
- Solid experience drafting and negotiating film acquisitions, co-productions, co-financing, and distribution agreements, and related security documents.
- Solid development and production counsel experience related to live-action motion pictures.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and act as a resource to colleagues with less experience. Ability to build interdepartmental relationships at all levels and drive consensus on legal matters among multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, to devise practical solutions and to present complex issues to senior executives. Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business unit and enterprise level perspective.
- Has breadth of knowledge about the motion picture industry and legal issues and has functioned as a strategic partner for business affairs and new business initiatives.
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority, and high volume projects. Demonstrates a clear ability to manage fast paced production environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in motion picture and television industry.
- A collegial and collaborative lawyer who brings a commitment to the creation of a positive working environment within the legal organization.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism.
- Ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality.
Additional Information:If you have an entrepreneurial drive, a winning attitude, and would enjoy working for a fun and adventurous company, please apply via www.disneycareers.com. Please use the requisition number in the key word search criteria. The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
#CORP_MEDIA and #legalaffairs
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.