Principal CounselApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 7122050420220515 Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jul. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Networks and Business Operations Legal Team (NET-BOLT) partners with various businesses across the Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution division. We are responsible for advising the TV networks, including ABC and its owned stations, ESPN, Disney, FX, Freeform, and National Geographic, as well as the streaming services, including Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+, on all of their business operations. Our legal work spans content acquisition, corporate strategy, data, marketing, media buying, and a number of other transactional and counseling matters.
Job Overview: NET-BOLT is looking for an experienced media lawyer to have direct legal responsibility for television series, film, digital and other content acquisitions for our TV Networks, cable streaming services and platforms. You will lead legal negotiations, and contract drafting and closing on complex content transactions and initiatives. This position will provide strategic legal advice and guidance to internal groups on legal requirements to operationalize contractual provisions and deal structures on a wide range of strategic initiatives for NET-BOLT. In so doing, you will liaise with subject matter experts in various fields such as intellectual property matters, clearances, privacy and other matters arising out of the day-to-day operations of cable channels, TV networks, streaming and digital services and other platforms. If you are a down-to-earth team player with extensive media transaction experience, including working as the primary legal negotiator on content acquisition deals, then this role is for you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on a wide variety of content agreements and other legal documents, recommending approval/modification of contracts proposed by outside parties
- Maintaining knowledge in specialized legal areas, including emerging trends, specifically in connection with: (i) content, (ii) distribution, (iii) intellectual property; and (iv) digital and streaming media platforms
- Recommending and implementing enhancements to established processes and workflows
- Providing strategic legal advice and guidance that marries content strategy initiatives of the company
- At least 8 years of in-house and/or law firm experience negotiating content agreements
- Ideal candidates will have developed their skills at a law firm and honed their subject matter expertise(s) at a large media company, after graduating with a Juris Doctorate degree
- Meaningful experience in other relevant areas such distribution and intellectual property is a plus
- Exceptional ability to spot issues, assess and communicate risks, make common-sense decisions, and find flexible/creative solutions to achieve business goals
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, analytical, organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Strong ability to work independently and to contribute positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a strong commitment to curiosity, learning and excellence
- JD or equivalent
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be registered In-House Counsel
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.