Principal Software Engineer, Consumer Experience Innovation
Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 821299BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 04, 2021
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ HotStar, as well as domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and The Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, while bringing creative ideas to life and creating industry-shaping approaches.
As part of DMED Technology, the DMED Consumer Experiences & Platforms pillar is responsible for creating the consumer facing applications across ABC, ABC News, the Disney Channel, ESPN, FX, National Geographic, Marvel, and more.
For a new team, we’re looking for experienced developers who are interested in building the next generation of our consumer experiences. Our mission is to envision, champion, and deliver new and unique experiences across our portfolio in close partnership with our product and engineering teams. We want someone that has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing 10 or more years’ experience in designing and architecting highly scalable, secure, performant, and usable consumer web/mobile applications leveraging cloud infrastructure. The ideal candidate would possess deep skills in server side technology (RESTful Web Services, Node.js, Java, MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Kafka, etc.), orchestration and containerization platforms (Docker and Kubernetes), coupled with significant hands-on experience with front end development on mobile or web (React). We’re looking for a person with the ability to rally developers to their side and who may be willing to lead people as they grow in their career at Disney.
Our initial focus will be on ESPN, so if you’re a sports fan who cares about building great products, this team will give you the opportunity to define and deliver experiences only ESPN and the Walt Disney Company can pull together. With our deep archives of sports information, content, and editorial talent, there’s no better place to push the boundaries of what’s possible in sports.
The ideal engineer has a deep well of experience delivering high quality product experiences whether on the backend or client or both: what matters is the ability to reason and contribute across the full stack. This is a role that will push creative problem solving and big picture thinking alongside of detailed technical architecture and delivery.
- Lead and define technology direction for strategic projects that span multiple pillars within DMED Technology and potentially across the company.
- Collaborate with other platform teams to develop collaborative roadmaps to achieve strategic objectives, including hands-on embedding with development teams to deliver sustainable MVPs and platforms.
- Oversee the design of complex technical projects which are typically company-wide initiatives. Oversee multiple products or services conception, design, and initial specifications and help define the technology strategy to be implemented by multiple divisions. Contributes to product and solution designs to address critical and strategic issues and complex problems spanning multiple product groups.
- Develop technology strategy in response to company-wide strategy and initiatives in support of the needs of key business segments and stakeholders. Sets technical direction, strategy and drives technology innovation within multiple product segments across the company. Produces technical designs and informs product strategies that anticipate, as best as possible, the needs of the business for years to come.
- Any other duties needed to help achieve Business Objectives
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, engineering, or another technical field (or have the equivalent experience)
- Have 10+ years of experience with consumer software development or software engineering focused on the APIs and platforms in a fast-paced environment
- Significant experience with modern frameworks and platforms (e.g. Node.js, Spring, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, AWS, React)
- Recognized in previous roles as a thought leader within a technical specialty.
- Strong collaborative skills – this team’s work is always a partnership with other teams. Need to be able to see a problem or solution from multiple perspectives.
- Strong product sensibilities and an ability to balance business and user needs against the technology roadmap
- Experience with video playback, formats, and distribution strongly preferred.
- Experience with Data Science and recommendation engines strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of front-end or mobile app development strongly preferred.
- Experience in a startup environment strongly preferred.
- Masters or another advanced degree, especially with research into video, data science/personalization, or scaling
- Experience with broadcast engineering environments or workflows used in modern streaming platforms
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.