Principal Software Engineer, Data Engineering
Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 821297BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 11, 2021
Locations: Burbank, CA - Bristol, CT - Seattle, WA - New York, NY
Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer, Data Engineering to join our newly created Data & Intelligence team in the DMED Technology’s Content Platforms group.
The Principal Software Engineer, Data Engineering will join a team of engineers, data scientists and product managers to deliver the world’s most innovative, automated, and technologically advanced content platform through the implementation and integration of modern data ingest pipelines.
- Writes code that establishes and enhances frameworks, typically for software programs and systems that have little or no precedent.
- Leads project proposals, architecture and design. Leads architecture design and implementation of assigned projects
- Oversees technical maintenance. Lead troubleshooting efforts for systems that tend to be large and highly complex.
- Design, development, documentation and/or testing.
- Act in managerial capacity for technical needs as necessary
- Empower team members to excel in all areas of team responsibility
- 10 or more years of experience in software engineering, database development or DevOps roles
- Advanced coding experience with the one or more of the following programming languages: Python, Java, Ruby, C/C++, Go
- You should know Object Oriented Design, common data structures, algorithms that go along with them, and how to test your code
- Advanced Experience with Amazon Web Services-based infrastructure and management
- Expertise in configuring, deploying, tuning, and supporting web frameworks at scale on Linux and container platforms
- Experience integrating with CI/CD platforms and tool chains such as TeamCity, Jenkins, and Gitlab
- Experience applying security best practices to application, system, and public cloud infrastructure
- Experience integrating with commercial and open source monitoring and telemetry platforms
- Experience managing commercial and open source data platforms (relational and NoSQL)
- Experience with industry data management strategies and practices, such as ACID compliance, data backup/restore, and data encryption/access.
- Expert to advanced proficiency in the following Data Technologies: Snowflake, Databricks, Tableau, Looker, Airflow, Hadoop, Cassandra, Redshift and S3.
- Experience with architecting, developing, and optimizing ETL processes
- Experience with Apache Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or Google Pub/Sub
- Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
- Experience producing, consuming and managing RESTful APIs
- Experience working in a team environment using Agile methodologies
- Enjoys new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly
- Passionate about data, technology, and challenging the status quo
- Experience with Google Cloud and Azure cloud platforms
- Familiarity with W3C standards for linked data and related technologies such as triple stores, RDF, SPARQL and SHACL
- Familiarity with Apache Hive, Presto
- Experience with ETL tools such as Informatica, Talend, Kettle
- Media Industry experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.