Principal Media Systems Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 744749BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Feb. 03, 2020
Job Summary:From movie concept to film production. Global premiere to direct to consumer mobile applications. You will innovate and deliver solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations.
The Walt Disney Studios Technology team is looking for a passionate engineer who enjoys learning and iterating at a rapid pace. We want someone intimately familiar with production systems, large scale data center infrastructure and public cloud. We're a lean, agile, self-sufficient machine of engineers. We develop infrastructure-as-code and believe that automation should always do the work. You will be a part of the team that provides production tools, cutting edge cloud, and infrastructure-as-code for all of the studios under the Disney umbrella.
Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for our business seriously because our solutions help make key decisions that drive value every day.
- A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it’s product, industry, or hard tech knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
- Goal oriented. You develop and actualize creative vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect production demand and technology strategies to the solutions you deliver
- Architect, design, and deploy film-maker systems, including 2K/4K playback systems, color timing systems, upscaling systems, etc
- Monitor, measure, and tune production systems for optimal performance and reliability
- Investigate, analyze, resolve and document hardware and software problems on a wide range of systems in several production and post production environments
- Architect and deploy systems equally well in on-premise data center environments and public cloud environments
- Design systems to enable rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Author tools, and leverage open source, to automate tasks with an emphasis on reliability and repeatability
- Serve as an escalation point to troubleshoot and resolve performance and reliability issues in production environments, private or public
- Lead and collaborate with engineers to ensure systems are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- Identify & evangelize new technologies, patterns, solutions, and best practices
- Lead in the creation of self-healing infrastructure-as-Code, automating everything
- Ensure security best practice is at the forefront is embedded in our DNA of all your design
- Mentoring other staff on technical material.
- Effective at dealing with change: Able to transition in role or handle a significant modification or technology with minimal ramp-up time and with very little guidance.
Basic Qualifications:Deep knowledge of:
- Operating systems and systems management (e.g. Linux, OSX, and Windows)
- Scripting and development languages, including Python, Ruby, PERL, PHP
- Playback systems used in visual effects, production and post production environments (e.g. Colorfront, Resolve, TweakRV, Clipster)
- High performance storage solutions used in production (Quantum, Avid, DDN)
- High performance file systems used in production (StorNext, OneFS, GPFS)
- Data center, network, and show application architectures
- Media File Transport Solutions (e.g. Signiant, Aspera)
- Hosting virtualization technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM)
- Production Security Systems (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
- Management of high-performance media server environment, requiring high levels of automation
- Experience working in Film or TV production environments
- Strong project management and resource planning experience
- IP networking including performance-based troubleshooting
- File System or hierarchical file system concepts
- Content Management System
- Media Asset Management Systems
- Smart, self-driven with a keen focus on and track record of exceptional delivery of innovative solutions
- Skilled in Cloud/IaaS Environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Compute)
- Strong knowledge in system management languages (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
- Operating systems and systems management (e.g. CentOS, Ubuntu, Windows)
- Expertise in Software Development Continuous Integration (CI) Pipeline knowledge (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI) and Source Control Management (e.g. Git)
- Expertise with Operating Systems, Distributed Systems and Container Platforms (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes/GKE, ECS, Openshift, Fargate)
- Expertise in multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, GO, Ruby, or Swift), with ability to build test coverage for all code being developed
- Authentication tool-sets such as Active Directory, LDAP, Ping Identity
- Data center, network, and application architectures
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Advanced degrees preferred
- 12+ years in engineering or computer systems related to production
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.