Product ManagerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 583499BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney ABC Television Group Date posted Aug. 10, 2018
Job Summary:Disney|ABC Television Group (DATG) is one of today's premier media entertainment companies, combining high-quality content with the strategic use of technology to deliver compelling news and entertainment experiences to hundreds of millions of people around the world. This business segment of The Walt Disney Company is comprised of global entertainment and news television properties, the owned television stations group and radio. Our employees are leading, creating, and innovating, making bold moves in unexpected directions that redefine not just what a media company does, but what it can do. With Disney|ABC Television Group, you can be part of media's evolution, helping us create what's next.
This role is a part of the Software Engineering team within the Disney|ABC Television Group – Software Solutions team, where we build innovative enterprise software products from the ground up: inception to delivery.
We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We are a motivated team that is committed to lifelong learning and improving, both in and out of the office. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You’ll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team. We often include our users as part of our team and we work to connect with them on a human level, understanding their world, so we can deliver software that they love to use.
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, Product Manager who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A creative and collaborative product leader who seeks to bring out the best in themselves and those around them, while providing a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives. A multi-disciplinary technical project leader who has a successful track record of owning web application product delivery, soup to nuts.
- Do you have experience driving technical teams to deliver on PaaS, DevOps, CI/CD, and messaging technologies?
- Have you mastered the art of balancing Product, Agile, and Technology to solve complex problems?
- Do you instinctually envision beautiful software solutions when you learn about business needs or pain-points?
- Are you a hands-on strategic leader who is laser focused on motivating teams and driving results?
- Do you thrive in a highly collaborative and highly accountable culture?
If so, we are looking for you.
We are seeking an exceptionally bright and motivated individual to provide direct project leadership on multiple technical projects supporting our software product & integration platform. This role requires strong a strong understanding of (and ideally some hands on experience with) software fundamentals related to architecture, CI/CD, cloud infrastructure, and cross-product integration. We are looking for someone who has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in designing and engineering highly scalable, usable, and performant web applications. The ideal candidates for this role is someone who has been in a professional software delivery seat themselves: they understand what it takes to launch products and motivate engineers because they’ve lived it—not just seen it—and they know from hands-on experience what it takes to drive successful delivery. Does this sound like you?
You will have a great supporting cast to drive success. You will work with cross-functionally with engineering leads, product owners, and business stakeholders to establish and uphold product visions, roadmaps, and project execution strategy. On a daily basis, you will be expected to take a high-ownership, hands-on, and organized approach to driving the product vision down through all layers of software engineering team: strategically driving product and application design, project planning & execution, and technical delivery in a fast-paced Agile/Scrum environment. You will also function as Scrum Master and it will be your job to execute the product vision and roadmap without compromising sound application architecture, code quality, user experience, and engineering team morale. You will make sure we are doing the right thing by our users by focusing equally on functional and non-functional requirements.
You must possess excellent leadership skills, be a pro-active solution-oriented individual with strong written and verbal communication skills. You’ll need to be organized with exceptional project management skills, a maniacal attention to detail, and a proven ability to influence and collaborate across the organization in order to excel in this role.
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, we’d ideally like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and are comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, at high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’).
Responsibilities:Take a hands-on approach to owning all aspects of Product Management:
- Work with software engineers leads, product owners and business teams to establish product visions, roadmaps, and execution strategy
- Collaborate closely with Product Owners to populate, groom, and prioritize the product backlog
- Collaborate with the team to understand the implementation details involved in each story
- Conduct story workshops as part of project initiation to assist the product teams in populating a full product backlog
- If needed, collaborate with Product Design to drive and validate UX requirements, craft web design, and gain early user adoption through rapid-prototyping
- Passionately lead projects utilizing Agile (Scrum) software development methodologies
- Maintain published project delivery schedules, budgets, issues & risks logs
- Organize and lead all Scrum ceremonies for your teams
- Ensure that the team work flow is sustainable by ensuring the work is balanced and progressing, while eliminating blockers, resolving issues, and mitigating risks
- Drive product teams to deliver high quality software solutions that meet all functional and non-functional requirements
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration across Engineering and Product/UX leads
- Promote and ensure adherence to coding, unit testing, test automation, and Continuous Delivery best practices
- Willingness and ability to handle requests outside of your core responsibilities up to and including software engineering tasks; code reviews, writing code on occasion, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other technical teams within the company to align work for the team as per the schedule
- Have 3-5 years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a cloud-based large enterprise environment
- Hold a current ScrumMaster certification or recognition of your Agile project experience
- Have 1-2 years (or more) of experience leading Agile projects in a fast-paced technical environment
- Care about your software development craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology and the process of doing it
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Experience using Cucumber and helping to drive BDD practices
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Software Management or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.