Production SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 771668BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jan. 07, 2021
The Production Supervisor (PS) is responsible for managing the day to day production within a specific department(s). In all duties below, the PS must work in collaboration with the artistic department supervisor(s). The success of their partnership will be a primary factor in the department’s success on the film. In addition, the PS is a leadership role in the studio and, as such, must accept the responsibility of supporting and representing the directives of the studio and the production leadership.
- Works with the Production Manager (PM) and/or the Associate Producer (AP) to meet department production goals; strategizing, planning and overseeing resources on a departmental level.
- Partners with artistic department leadership to establish achievable and attainable short and long term goals; ensuring the delivery of work on time and within budget, while keeping team morale as high as possible.
- Maintains composure and optimism during times of change; sets a positive tone and acts as an example to the rest of the team.
- Manages, motivates and creates an environment conducive to achieving goals and artistic achievements; looking for opportunities to improve department and project morale.
- In collaboration with project leadership, oversee the department tracking of project pipeline, processes and workflows; embracing cross-project consistency, cross-department collaboration and championing process innovation.
- Looks ahead to ensure that long term goals/quotas, department milestones and inventory expectations are met. Strategizes with artistic supervisors, project’s upper management and other PS’ to resolve any productivity or inventory issues.
- Works with the department artistic supervisor to schedule, plan, and cast work to artists.
- Anticipates and adapts to the needs of teams and the project; including evaluating frequency and tone of meetings, efficiencies of processes.
- Clearly communicates department goals; acknowledging and addressing changes to department plans and expectations.
- Represents the artistic department in production meetings; reporting department progress and discussing solutions to any issues impeding the department.
- Keeps project leadership informed of department morale and progress.
- Partners with the department artistic supervisor to coach, mentor and give performance feedback to all department members on the project.
- Establishes expectations for the Production Management team within their department.
- Provides mentorship and feedback to Production Assistants (PAs) and Production Coordinators (PCs) to foster growth towards individual goals.
- Ensures department data is tracked accurately and is easily accessible and understandable.
- Clearly communicates when changes in creative direction or productivity assumptions change; proactively offering suggestions to make-up for lost time and/or resources.
- Create and maintain reports that clearly illustrate department and individual artist productivity.
- Engages in Production Management issues on a studio level, i.e.: Shotgun meetings and architecture of tracking and other department tools, leadership training, Cross-project Production Management meetings and initiatives/planning related to the Production Management team.
- Partnering with the Artist Manager, oversee department-planning issues such as OT and vacation as well as help in managing conflict within the department - including reporting issues to HR and production leadership when necessary.
- 4 years minimum industry experience
- Bachelor’s degree in film / TV production or equivalent experience preferred
- Strong organization skills
- Must have the ability to prioritize tasks at hand, assisting on all phases of production
- Strong understanding of CG animation processes
- Clear understanding of the principles of animation production
- Production tracking experience using spreadsheets, databases or database software (such as Shotgun) a plus.
- Demonstrated success engaging in problem solving techniques
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Secret Lab, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Secret Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.