Production Technology Operations Manager - Post Production Engineering
Burbank, California, United States; Los Angeles, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 879279BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Los Angeles, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Oct. 27, 2021
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technology leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
Responsibilities:The Manager of Production Technology Operations role oversees a team of professionals working on pre-release theatrical films and Direct to Consumer (DTC) shows. This Manager position will provide operational management and engineering direction for “Post Production Engineering (PPE)”. The manager will lead studio engineering for Avid, Digital Media Center and Sound teams. Manager will also direct third party providers performing services and executing projects, and directly interfaces with clients from all levels of the company.
- Direct management of a team of engineers that support filmmaking, including all systems, storage, networks management and support
- Develop and manage operational plans and procedures covering all aspects of support and maintenance, communications (both intergroup and client facing), and downtime response
- Work in collaboration with various Architecture & Operations groups to meet the needs of productions based around the world
- Knowledge of design, deploy and administration of Linux, Mac and Windows systems and enterprise grade storage systems across both corporate and production environments
- Defining and documenting projects and assigning tasks to team members to deliver on business needs.
- Developing standards-based configurations for operations, deployment and administration of all systems and storage
- Identify and manage deficiencies in production environment, isolating root causes and implementing remediation steps to bring about quick resolution
- Working with on premises virtualization and cloud architecture to leverage both technologies and understanding when it is advantageous to do so
- Make sure support engineering team is collaborating with Architecture & Operations groups to make sure that operational standards are being met and reviewed
- Responsible for effective collaboration between technology staff and other internal technology teams that provide support services
- Work to fulfill the vision of Architecture & Operations Leadership as it relates to working with various groups, including Post Production Services, Content & Information Security, Enterprise IT, IT outsourcing partners, and broader Studio Technology groups
- Manage and Report to departmental leadership the performance and deliverables of 3rd party, domestic or offshore technical support suppliers
- Manage Support Engineering group technical operations in the most cost-effective way for a 24x7 shop
- Work with departmental leadership to manage key vendors and partners, both internal and external
- Serve as an escalation participant for tickets related to any infrastructure issues
- Work with departmental leadership to manage budgets, forecasts and 5-year plans for the engineering support
- Responsible for equipment/software maintenance contracts and renewals
- Responsible for 3rd party service contracts
Basic Qualifications:Who you are:
Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills and problem management experience as it relates to technical operations.
- 10+ years of experience supporting and maintaining highly complex enterprise storage and server environments within a media production/post production environment
- Strong working knowledge and recent hands-on experience with SAN/NAS storage devices, SAN switches
- Production support Service Level Agreements and tiered support methodologies
- Digital Production environments and overall digital production support
- Large managed networking and hosting environments
- Large-scale routed, switches, firewalled, and load-balancing techniques
- Implement and Manage Data transport toolsets, and file mover technologies
- A seasoned and experienced technical manager, preferably from a dynamic production support environment, able to comfortably oversee highly knowledgeable technical support staff
- Able to multitask in a highly complex, diverse, systems and networking environment
- Able to quickly prioritize and make important decisions given incomplete and conflicting knowledge
- Highly self-directed, being able to both manage and (re)prioritize the multiple concurrent and competing challenges, issues, ambiguities, and contradictions that, inevitably, occur when supporting systems and networks
- A team-building leader with good interpersonal, verbal and relationship building skills
- Ability to adapt to new technology trends
Preferred Qualifications:What’s beneficial to the role?
- Strong technical leader who can successfully support high availability production environments.
- Exemplify quality, inclusive leadership skills that harbor collaboration
- Situational and strategic awareness of the environment for quick and decisive identification of issues and bringing about resolution
- Tactical thinker with strong organizational skills and ability to quickly pivot as priorities shift
- Able to communicate issues effectively across technical teams as well as to those that don’t possess technical knowledge
- Customer driven, able to provide solutions and reassurance to customers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and thus able to explain and document the systems to their diverse audiences
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT Engineering, Math or a related field.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.