Senior Clearance SpecialistApply Now Apply Later Job ID 744528BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jul. 31, 2020
The team advises content production staff (e.g., producers, writers, art departments, set decorators, prop masters, costumers, editors, visual effects, animators) and marketing teams of clearance procedures. In connection therewith, they also review dailies, rough and final cuts of films, tv shows, Disney+ Originals, websites, bonus content, behind the scenes/EPK materials, interviews, bloopers, deleted scenes, trailers, TV spots and other marketing materials, commercial tie-ins, print ads, and the like.
The Senior Script Clearance Specialist will be a vital part of the production clearance team, taking on many of the above-mentioned responsibilities under minimal supervision of the department clearances lead.
- Review scripts and related research in preparation of detailed reports summarizing potential clearance issues and necessary next steps.
- Throughout preproduction/production/post production, track and handle all requests from production for use of graphics/artwork/photographs/props/set dressing/wardrobe/stills/footage/fonts/other.
- Facilitate research and analysis of scripted (or non-scripted) character/business names, quotations, phone numbers/addresses, etc. Perform independent research.
- Transmit, follow-up, and track clearance requests to outside parties. Secure necessary licenses and/or permissions via boilerplate forms and protocols.
- Analyze proposed character designs, concept art, and graphics. Elevate for additional review as needed.
- Consult, as needed, with IP and Production counsel in connection with copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and contractual matters.
- Maintain clearance status reports and distribute to production and internal studio personnel.
- View dailies and screenings to ensure compliance with clearance instructions.
- Coordinate and communicate with internal studio groups (e.g., labor relations, casting administration, consumer products, music, and screen credits).
- Review and clear content in connection with advertising/promotional clearance matters.
- Required Experience: Minimum 3-5 years in a scripted entertainment (e.g., major film/TV production entity) clearance position. Knowledge of copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and other legal concepts sufficient to identify and communicate issues.
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and seek increased responsibilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to train/mentor others
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced and fluctuating environment
- Proficient in autonomously prioritizing work and managing deadlines
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Outlook and Word
- BA/BS degree preferred
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.