Senior Cognos Systems Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 771193BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jan. 07, 2021
Job Summary:At Disney, we’re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
The Enterprise Technology mission is to deliver technology solutions that align to business strategies while enabling enterprise efficiency and promoting cross-company collaborative innovation. The Enterprise Technology organization drives competitive advantage by enhancing our consumer experiences, enabling business growth, and advancing operational excellence.
This role is part of the Enterprise Business Systems (EBS) organization. Our mission is to provide business technology solutions for the enterprise that empower growth, and enhance value across brands, geographies and organizations.
The Application Support and Operations group is part of the EBS organization. We are responsible for excellence in operating business systems and processes in support of the enterprise. We lead with a culture of continuous improvement, innovation and automation.
Within EBS this role will provide Engineering Support services relating to a specific collection of application technologies across the EBS portfolio, including Platform, Data Integration, Infrastructure Operations and Reporting/Analytics. The role will work within the EBS System Support Engineering Community that exists to drive consistency and excellence of the technology services across EBS.
Specifically this role will work with technology partners, users and business stakeholders for a particular group of application technologies. These technologies include:
- SAP HANA Sidecar (Torch)
- Cognos Planning & Forecast
- SAP BW (including BPS, BCS)
- Cognos TM1
- SAP BASIS
Reporting & Analytics
- Cognos Reporting
- SAP BOBJ
Responsibilities:The System Support Engineer’s responsibilities:
- Manage the delivery of high-quality, scalable and cost-effective solutions leveraging Cognos Planning and Forecast components that meet business requirements and conform to architectural designs and technology strategies
- Act as the technology Cognos Planning and Forecast subject matter expert for platforms/infrastructure, partnering with technology stakeholders and clients to address issues and recommend/implement enhancements
- Investigate and resolve production related issues in a timely manner from end user (UI) to persistence layer
- Drive the technical recovery of major system outages, interfacing with numerous stakeholders including external vendors or outsourced service delivery teams
- Monitor service performance and recommend areas of focus for continuous improvement initiatives, including application performance management
- Oversee vendor/partners in the timely resolution of incidents/problems/requests, ensuring service level and quality targets are met.
- Gather requirements for minor enhancements and oversee the resultant product from the vendors
- Drive the adoption of agile development methodologies, focusing on improving the velocity and quality of delivered work products through DevOps practices and automated testing
- Partner with the application security team on the implementation of “security by design,” ensuring that all solutions meet security standards
- Work collaboratively with other teams (QA, UX, Release Project Managers) to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Participate in periodic problem analysis meetings and post implementation reviews to document learnings and ensure the continuous improvement of the IT services
- Design and implement complex Cognos Planning and Forecast technology solutions in partnership with Solution Architects, Product & Engineering Managers in support of business objectives
- Be a champion for operational excellence by ensuring that all technology delivery and support functions are efficient, easy to execute, simple to consume and effectively measured
- Ensure application solutions meet business expectations through capacity, performance and availability management.
- Coordinate the development and on-going maintenance of Disaster Recovery plans
- Develop and maintain the technology currency roadmap
- Help define engineering support best practices and provide technical mentorship
- Oversee the respective security and vulnerability management activities
- Recommend and initiate New Technology analysis for application initiatives
- Maintain a high level of technical expertise by keeping up-to-date with the latest applicable technical changes/ knowledge
- The Sr System Support Engineer is also expected to be the thought leader in their area of expertise, providing guidance and mentoring to the more junior engineers.
- Establish and manage effective working relationships in a matrix environment with other departments, groups
- and staff with whom work must be coordinated or interfaced. Comfortable influencing to achieve desired outcomes.
- A person that can decide and act without having the total picture and is comfortable handling risk and uncertainty.
- Deep domain and technical expertise will be essential, as delivery will be accomplished in a matrixed environment of internal and external partners, and suppliers.
- Equally comfortable with executives, manager-level stakeholders, architects and developers--this is a hands-on position with regards to people and detail.
- A practitioner of the Service Management principles and can effectively proceed through review boards and other SA activities.
- Deep Technical Cognos Planning and Forecast infrastructure design and deployment expertise in the respective application platform/security/service.
- Experience participating in the full range of development activities (including but not limited to: code deployment, load/performance testing, integration testing).
- Experience in installation and configuration of various Cognos Products.
- Experience in vendor management and oversee timely resolution of requests and incidents.
- Experience working with the product vendor for any tool related issues.
- Participation in formal change management processes.
- Proven strong negotiating and consensus building abilities.
- Experience with application monitoring technologies; New Relic, DataDog, Synthetic Transactions
- Wide experience with a variety of Software Development Lifecycle methodologies across waterfall and agile.
- Current understanding of new/emerging technology and its application in business.
- Sr System Support Engineer 8 years in a support engineer role in a corporate environment of a similar size/complexity
- 5+ years in Cognos Planning and Forecast application development with relevant technologies
- Demonstrable deep experience of the technologies relevant to the post, including functional expertise and complex problem solving
- Experience with working with (a majority of) our portfolio of applications relevant to the post
- 3 years working in a DevOps environment
- Demonstrable experience with secure development practices
- ServiceNow expertise is highly desirable
- NewRelic expertise is highly desirable
- ITIL Practitioner/Intermediate is preferred
- Advanced technical certifications relevant to the post are preferred
Required EducationBachelor’s degree in a related discipline, or equivalent professional experience
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.