Senior Communications EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10008350 Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Aug. 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Network Facilities Architecture and Design team (NFAD) is responsible for the cabling systems that link the various Walt Disney Company businesses together. The Senior Communications Engineer position designs and implements physical infrastructure services that support global network services.
This key technology position works closely with Real Estate and Disney Segments as well as the various network services teams to contribute to the overall physical infrastructure strategy, architecture, design, technology selection, and deployment of solutions that meet business requirements. Responsibilities include; collecting requirements, identifying technologies / vendors, network facilities design, prioritizing activities, implementation, vendor oversight and transitioning solutions to Operations.
- Acts as single point of contact to Real Estate Design & Delivery organization for construction projects. Develops ROM costs for design and delivery of a complete turn-key network infrastructure for a defined project. Determines equipment, materials and labor costs for each project and manages project expenses to estimates.
- Develops office building physical layer design documents and BOMs. Performs site audits and assessments needed to develop design documents and plans. Produces Telecom Room layouts, rack elevation plans, optical riser backbone drawings, labeling schemes, detailed materials BOMs, Division 27 documents, cutover plans, runlists and any other documents required to define project design.
- Designs horizontal cabling systems & supporting components, optical riser backbone systems, OSP optical campus backbones & pathways, cable pathways, cable tray conveyance systems, conduits, pull-boxes, outlets, workstation feeds-devices, floor termination devices, etc. Programs and designs Telecom Rooms including overall room layouts, power, HVAC, grounding, racks, runways, HCM, VCM, etc.
- Engages and collaborates with the Network Engineering and Wireless teams in defining required equipement and related costs. Develops switch port requirements based on floor / occupancy plans, specifies UPS needed to support network equipment, reviews WIFI AP plans and proposes adjustments to coordinate with ceiling design, programs pathways to support final AP plans, specifies AP mounting brackets-kits for various ceiling types & mounting scenarios.
- Coordinates with the Architect as a member of the design team to ensure Construction Documents (CDs) accurately reflect the required physical layer design. Reviews floor plans and provides mark-ups to Architect to incorporate into CDs for General and MEP contractor scope.
- Collaborates with Strategic Sourcing to obtain competitive bids for implementation of the physical layer design. Identifies bidders, definines bid milestones, attends bid conferences, presents design to bidders, responds to RFIs, evaluates bid responses, conducts post bid interviews, contractor selection.
- Provides Construction Administation for each project. Conducts frequent site walks and onsite reviews. Participates in weekly OAC meetings. Reviews applicable submittals, responds to RFIs, coordinates closly with General, Electrical and Cabling Contractors to ensure project implementation is consistent with design. Attends site meetings to evaluate and recommend solution when field conditions dictate deviation from proposed design. Coordinate Service Provider / Carrier builds into new and existing facilites.
- Provides schedule milestones with estimated completion times to General Contractors to incorporate into overall construction project schedule. Tracks timelines and financial forecasts against stated objectives, ensures proper transition to operations and completion of close-out as-built floor plans-documentation & test reports.
- Supports Business Unit requests for cabling MAC and small projects.
- Provides operational support for Burbank/Glendale Boundary Rooms. Coordinate equipment installations and connectivity to ensure proper installation. Specify rack mount locations for equipment, extend Carrier circuits, coordinate cabling and power adds, coordinate Service Provider/Carrier builds.
- Contribute to NFAD group including researching and recommending new technologies, developing formats for designs and scope-of-work documents, updated/creating strategy & standards documents.
- Implement NFAD projects. Telecom Room remodels & clean ups, Campus fiber-optic capacity adds, building horizontal cable and optical backbone upgrades, etc.
- Researches technologies and products and meets with vendor, addresses technical issues/deficiencies and influence new products and services to meet growing and changing requirements.
Demonstrate technical acumen, business acumen, strong communication skills and professional maturity in representing the department in business discussions.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.