Senior Data Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 694460BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 14/08/2019
Movies Anywhere seeks a Staff Data Engineer to join a team of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for a self-starting engineer who wants to shape the next generation of video consumption applications. We’re a casual shop that values passion, community involvement and code that stands out. If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you.
The Data Engineer will work in a small team of multi-disciplined technologists developing insights to drive the Business, Marketing and Finance decisions for our next-generation video delivery and consumption platform. We expect you to be up to date on the happening in the data community, passionate about what you do, and connected to the open source community. You will participate in overall system design, developing multi-tiered data solutions emphasizing reuse and good design patterns.
- Design, build and implement Hadoop/Spark batch jobs
- Build and optimize performance of Spark, Kafka, ELK, and whatever else makes sense for real-time pipelines
- Design and architect high quality data-lake, data-warehouse, and data-marts data models
- Enable and implement Data Science workflows and advanced machine learning algorithms
- Build and optimize performance of ElasticSearch cluster and relevance
- Build and maintain data pipelines orchestration
- Develop and cultivate expertise in current and new technologies and tools
- Collaborate with other software engineers and cross-functional teams
- Share new ideas with a larger community of highly experienced technologists
- Ability to prioritize tasks, requirements, and complexity
- Mentor junior data engineers on best practices
- Real passion for coding (If you have a Github profile, that’s awesome! We would love to check it out!)
- Understanding of distributed systems and distributed computation
- Working knowledge in at least 2 of: Scala, Java, Python, or Go-Lang
- Working knowledge of data Apache Spark ecosystem technologies like Spark, Kafka, Hive, Presto, Oozie, Pig, Hue, Zeppelin
- Demonstrated working knowledge of data modeling, data-warehouse, data-mart and data-lake
- Unit, Integration, and Load testing
- Developing REST APIs
- Maven, SBT, and/or Gradle
- Docker containers building and deployment
- Working experience of AWS
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of Machine Learning Frameworks (MLib,Tensorflow, etc)
- GraphQL Knowledge
- Kubernetes knowledge
- Apache Spark GraphX
- GitLab CI/CD
- Akka Streams
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 7+ years of experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Movies Anywhere, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Movies Anywhere is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.