Senior Manager - Data EngineeringApply Now Apply Later Job ID 543696BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Media Networks Brand Disney ABC Television Group Date posted 04/10/2018
Job Summary:Disney|ABC Television Group’s Digital Media team is leading the digital television revolution by creating amazing new storytelling experiences.
The team has been at the forefront of many of the industry’s pioneering technical innovations, from being the first network to offer full episodes on iTunes in 2005 to the current collection of industry-defining streaming applications for a diverse portfolio of broadcast and cable networks, including ABC Entertainment, ABC News, ABC Daytime, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior.
We are looking for an experienced leader in the Data Engineering space with strong communication and collaborative skills, a proven track record of building and scaling teams, and an inspiring vision and passion for how data can inform business and product decisions.
The position reports to the VP of Engineering and will partner with engineering, product management, data architecture, and business leadership to design and implement new data models, modern data pipelines and data science tools.
- Serve as a technical and leadership mentor to the team.
- Encourage and set the example for collaboration across functions. Forge solid relationships with peers in other disciplines.
- Must be a high-energy manager able to delegate and mentor effectively, yet roll up their sleeves when required to achieve results or demonstrate effective behavior.
- Translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the group.
- Design, implement and build pipelines that deliver data with measurable quality under the SLA.
- Partner with business domain experts, data analysts and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service.
- Be a champion of the overall strategy for data governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools.
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- 5+ years of management experience.
- 7+ years of data engineering experience.
- 3+ years of meaningful experience applying machine learning to drive significant business impact, particularly in understanding user/audience behavior.
- Expert-level knowledge of Amazon AWS big data and analytics solutions (Athena, Kinesis, Redshift, Amazon ML, etc.)
- Deep understanding of relational as well as NoSQL data stores, methods and approaches.
- Expertise in unsupervised and supervised machine learning techniques.
- Expert-level knowledge of modern data engineering as it pertains to support large-scale consumer mobile and web applications.
- Experience in a start-up, fast-growth, or rapid-change environment.
- Skilled at recruiting, building a diverse team and ability to identify talent.
- Strong problem solving skill to identify the root cause and implement the fix
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Familiarity with streaming media applications is a plus
- Experience with Hadoop and Spark.
- Experience with Azure and Google big data and analytics cloud solutions is a plus.
- Experience with Python, Java and Scala.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or other technical field
Additional Information:Equal Opportunity Employer- Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.