Senior Mobile App Engineer
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 785123BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jun. 03, 2021
Job Summary:Movies Anywhere (https://moviesanywhere.com) is a cloud-based digital movie service. This app for iOS, Android, Web, and 10-foot devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) enables consumers to discover, purchase and watch movies from participating studios (Disney, Sony, Warner Bros., Universal) using a single service, regardless of the online retailer used to purchase those movies.
We are looking for a highly skilled software engineer to join our Android development team. This senior level role will work closely with product managers to design and build new features for the Movies Anywhere Android and Android TV apps, support in-production apps with millions of installs, improve the quality and reliability of the code-base through sound testing practices, drive technical decisions and provide mentorship and coaching to less experienced engineers.
- Design and develop new features for the Movies Anywhere Android and Android TV apps
- Write working, readable, testable, and maintainable Kotlin code
- Use modern language features and libraries such as Kotlin Coroutines, Flows, and Jetpack Architecture Components
- Follow design guidelines and incorporate best practices to develop user interfaces that are intuitive, fluid, and responsive
- Participate in technical design reviews, bug triage, and functional demos
- Stay current on the latest tools and technologies, platform capabilities, and engineering practices
- Resolve defects, expand test coverage, and maintain CI pipeline with frequent production releases
- Participate in productive peer reviews and provide technical mentorship and support to less experienced engineers
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, with demonstrable knowledge of Android app development
- Proficiency in both Java and Kotlin
- Expertise on common Android application architectures, libraries and best practices
- Solid understanding of general computer science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms, as well as software design architecture principles and patterns – especially as it pertains to Android development
- Experience with dependency injection, preferably using Dagger
- Expertise in testing, ranging from unit tests to automated UI testing
- Sound understanding of HTTP/REST web services. Familiar with backend system design
- Comfortable with Git and participating in code reviews
- Experience working in a fast paced, continuous integration environment
- Effective communication skills with both technical and non-technical parties
- Ability and interest in providing technical mentorship to junior teammates and interns
- Strong problem-solving skills with passion for new technologies
- Having apps published to the Google Play Store with a sizeable userbase a plus
- Experience with Kotlin Coroutines and Flows a plus
- Experience with video playback, and especially Exoplayer a plus
- Experience with Android TV a plus
- Exposure to other mobile technologies like iOS is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training or work experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Movies Anywhere, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Movies Anywhere is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.