Senior Software Engineer, Cloud-Native Engineering (Ad Sales)
Burbank, California, United States; New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 772915BR Location Burbank, California, United States; New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 05, 2021
Disney’s Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ Hotstar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks. Our employees are leading, creating, innovating, and making bold moves in unexpected directions that redefine not just what a mass media entertainment company does, but what it can do.Being part of the DMEDI team is a once-in-a-career opportunity to be a part of what’s next. This role is a Senior development role on a new project to build a highly performant, cloud based service that will provide high value to the Ad Sales team. We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We are a motivated team that is committed to lifelong learning and improving, both in and out of the office. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code, and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You’ll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team. We often include our users as part of our team and we work to connect with them on a human level, understanding their world, so we can deliver software that they love to use.
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical team member who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, and add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Hands-on development expertise, building React.js web applications
- Collaborate with team and peers to design complex applications, peer review code, and suggest optimization
- Practice quality engineering practices and lead by example: linting, unit testing, and web UI testing
- Reason logically and creatively, identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions from the data available, and develop effective solutions while applying creative thinking in the design and development of high performing web applications
- Collaborate with and influence product teams to build and maintain design system standards, processes, and adoption
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff
- Help define engineering best practices and provide technical mentorship
- Investigate and resolve any production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer and work to prevent them
- Work with project managers to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Assist in rapid prototyping of design concepts in order to prove and test ideas with end-users
- Have 4+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using modern frameworks
- Have extensive experience with React.js and its related technologies. Some of these include Node.js, NPM, Babel, Webpack, ESLint, Jest, Enzyme, React Router, Redux, Fetch API, and LESS/SASS
- Have extensive knowledge of HTTP
- Have experience developing for the cloud and Kubernetes
- Have a track record of championing quality engineering: be adamant that all code is written in a way that can be tested with automation
- Have experience working with high-performing teams using Scrum
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- C# backend RESTful service design experience
- Experience developing for Azure Kubernetes Service
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Hold a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent training or work experience
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.