Senior Software Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 690871BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 25/07/2019
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally, we’d like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, at high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’).
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical leader who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Provide hands on UI engineering leadership across various product teams
- Collaborate with other leads to design and architect cloud native and service-oriented UI components and applications
- Collaborate with team and peers to design complex applications, peer review code, and suggest optimization
- Enable continuous deployment by championing quality engineering practices: linting, unit testing, web UI testing, pipeline automation
- Reason logically and creatively, identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions from the data available, and develop effective solutions while applying creative thinking in the design and development of high performing web applications
- Collaborate with and influence product teams to build and maintain design system standards, processes, and adoption
- Check-in valuable, clean code on a daily basis that adds new features and capabilities
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff (when required)
- Help define engineering best practices and provide technical mentorship
- Investigate and resolve any production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer and work to prevent them
- Work with project managers to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Assist in rapid prototyping of design concepts in order to prove and test ideas with end-users
- Have 4+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using modern frameworks
- Have expertise with reactive programming using a best of breed UI stack: React/Reactive Native, Redux, TypeScript, SCSS, Jest, Enzyme, Selenium/Nightwatch, SauceLabs, Webpack, Babel, Node/Express, oAuth 2.0/JWT
- Have a track record of championing quality engineering: be adamant that all UI code is written in a way that can be tested both with unit tests and automated UI tests
- Have a strong understanding of (and be opinionated about) browsers, devices, OS, and other user agent interoperability and compatibility concerns
- Have hands on DevOps experience with AWS, GitLab CI/D pipelines, Docker, Kubernettes/Helm
- Have experience working with high-performing teams using Agile and Lean methodologies and frameworks
- Be a perfectionist who makes sure every pixel is in the right place
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Care about your craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.