Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 715591BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 04/11/2019
Job Summary:As a Software Engineer, you will use your Java, scripting, DevOps, and data persistence skills to write and test code that delivers new features for our application portfolio. You will be an important part of a motivated team where we’ll be looking for you to collaborate with the team to drive application architecture, code quality, and make sure we are building the right things for our users. We want someone that has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing 2 or more years’ experience in implementing scalable, secure, and performant web applications using Java/Java EE. The ideal candidate would possess skills in server side technology (Java, Spring, RESTful Web Services), while having some exposure to orchestration and containerization platforms (Docker and Kubernetes), coupled with some hands on persistence and data streaming technology experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka).
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally, we’d like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, with high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’).
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, team member who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add create their own chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company.
- Focus on major areas of work
- Participate in software process activities that contribute to successful planning, execution and continuous improvement on a product team
- Check-in clean code on a daily basis that adds new features and capabilities
- Have 2+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using Java, including familiarity with modern frameworks and platforms (e.g., Spring, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, AWS)
- Demonstrate significant experience working with relational databases, SQL and newer NoSQL data stores as well as event streaming platforms
- Demonstrate a strong background working with open source technologies and cloud native engineering principles and patterns
- Demonstrate a care for your craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Direct-to-Consumer and International, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.