Set Extension AssistantApply NowApply Later Job ID 842869BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Aug. 11, 2021
Disney’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Artists use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills, to seamlessly extend digital environments in a 3D world.
We currently have opportunities for Set Extension Assistants to come and learn at our Burbank, CA studios.
To apply for this position, you must upload a resume and a reel with a shot breakdown, featuring samples of digital matte painting (Set Extensions) and samples of shots done as a generalist. Samples of traditional painting are a plus.
An assistant is being trained to be proficient in the following skill sets. The duties below are performed under ongoing mentorship.
- An organic approach to executing dimensional, pre-lit, view-dependent artwork seamlessly integrated with fully CG environments
- Work with environment team and Production Designers to stylistically extend the environments digitally for the films we are creating
- Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital rendering and painting programs such as Maya, Photoshop, Nuke, Houdini, Clarisse, etc as well as GI rendering and Disney’s proprietary software, etc.
- Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer's overall vision
- Support the technical aspects of the work created
- Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
- Professional experience required, feature animation experience preferred
- High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color theory
- Understands a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras.
- Good artistic skills with willingness to learn new workflows
- Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux and programs such as Photoshop, Maya, Nuke, etc
- Must be able to work iteratively in a fluid and fast-paced environment, take direction easily, and be willing to participate as a member of a highly collaborative team
- Ideal candidates would possess secondary craft skills or come from a generalist background
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Secret Lab, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Secret Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.