Set Extension/Matte Painting ArtistApply NowApply Later Job ID 769286BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jul. 09, 2021
Disney Animation’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Artists use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills to believably extend digital environments in a 3D world. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Set Extension Artist at our Burbank, CA studios.
To apply for this position, you must include a resume and a link to your reel with a reel breakdown, featuring samples of digital Set Extensions and samples of traditional painting as well as the ability to match different artistic styles.
Responsibilities:* An organic approach to executing dimensional, pre-lit, view-dependent artwork seamlessly integrated with fully CG environments
* Work with environment team and Production Designers to stylistically extend the environments digitally for the films we are creating
* Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital rendering and painting programs such as Maya, Photoshop, Nuke, Houdini, Clarisse, etc as well as GI rendering and Disney’s proprietary software, etc.
* Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer's overall vision
* Support the technical aspects of the work created
* Use expertise to help influence the future direction of Set Extension tools and techniques within the Look Development department
* Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
* Learn the Look Development toolset and share the Set Extension process to the rest of the Look Development group
Basic Qualifications:* Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
* High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color in programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, XGen, World Machine, etc.
* Understand a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras
* Comfortable with Maya, Photoshop, Nuke
* Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux
* Ideal candidates would possess secondary craft skills or come from a generalist background
* Basic experience in Modeling, Look Development, and Lighting within the 3D environment
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.