Set Extension/ Matte Painting AssistantApply Now Apply Later Job ID 738291BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jan. 10, 2020
Disney’s Set Extension/Matte Painting Artists use their knowledge of today’s CG tools, combined with their strong painting skills, to seamlessly extend digital environments in a 3D world.
We currently have exciting opportunities for Set Extension Assistants to come and learn at our Burbank, CA studios.
To apply for this position, you must include a resume and a link to your reel with a reel breakdown, featuring samples of digital Set Extensions and samples of traditional painting as well as the ability to match different artistic styles.
An assistant is trained to be proficient in the following skill sets. The duties below are performed under constant mentorship.
- Ability to work with the Production Designers and environment team to stylistically extend a fully-built, digital environment beyond a decided point using a shot-specific, generalist workflow
- Understands a 2.5D workflow with multiple projection cameras
- Create backgrounds, landscapes, and environments in a 3D world using digital programs such as Maya, Photoshop and Nuke, as well as Disney’s proprietary software (GI renderer, etc.)
- Extrapolate art direction: i.e. design, architectural style, lighting, and graphics, which adhere to the Production Designer's overall vision
- Support the technical aspects of the work created
- Use expertise to help influence the future direction of Set Extension tools and techniques within the Look Development department
- Collaborate with the Art Department, Layout, Modeling, Look Development, Lighting, and Stereo teams
- Bachelors degree or comparable experience
- Professional experience required, feature animation experience preferred
- High skill level in painting, composition, perspective, and color theory
- Good artistic skills with willingness to learn new workflows
- Strong skills in programs such as Photoshop, Maya, Nuke, etc
- Knowledge of Mac OSX and Linux
- Must be able to work iteratively in a fluid and fast-paced environment, take direction easily, and be willing to participate as a member of a highly collaborative team
- Experience in Modeling, Look Development, and Lighting within 3D environments, and/or generalist background a plus
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.