Software Engineer II, Sports and News Core Platform
Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 825903BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 23, 2021
Job Summary:The Walt Disney Company has a rich tradition of creating innovative products and magical experiences for millions of people around the world. Software Engineers are at the heart of that innovation and magic, building platforms, services, tools and infrastructure for an unmatched collection of content and brands such as ABC, Disney, and ESPN.
As a member of a diverse and talented organization, the software engineer crafts elegant and extensible solutions, at scale, using modern frameworks and technologies to deliver the foundation that powers the products our guests and fans use every day. Products like; Disney+, ESPN+, ESPN, National Geographic, ABC News, ABC Entertainment, FX and DisneyNow..
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity to research and learn new technologies
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Are passionate about web development
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
Working at Disney is unlike anything else. We have the latest technology, game-changing ideas, and world-class talent. Come be a part of our team and help us find new ways to interact with users, however and wherever they connect with our brands.
As a member of the Content and Data Engineering team, you will build and support the data pipelines behind the live processing of our core systems, build and support the Core APIs that power the products across our brands and build and support the tools and systems around our Core Software. As a Software Engineer II, you will be responsible for extensible solutions, at scale, and advancing our platform onto modern frameworks and technologies. You will interact with numerous teams to define scalable workflows in and out of the pipeline, providing a strong foundation for many products. Examples include live scoring, content distribution, content/sports/elections APIs, and taxonomies supporting products for Disney+, ESPN+, ESPN, National Geographic, ABC News, ABC Entertainment, FX and DisneyNow.
- Be involved in the requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, testing, deployment, and maintenance of systems that support or enhance other applications within our environment.
- Collaborate & troubleshoot with the rest of the team in the analysis and resolution of hard engineering problems involving high trafficked web application services and API’s, including taking part of the on-call rotation.
- Think of new ways to help make our data platform more scalable, resilient and reliable and then work across our team to put your ideas into action. Research and learn new technologies
- Experience with Java and open-source technologies like Spring, Tomcat, MySQL, Kafka, Elastic Search, etc.
- Exposure to cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, ECS, SQS, S3, Lambda, CloudFormation, etc.
- Exposure to full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Strong analytical skills as well as solid capabilities for debugging and troubleshooting.
- Good communication skills and attention to detail
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
- 2+ years relevant industry experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.