Software Engineer - MacOS/iOS Tools
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 965989BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Apr. 27, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop to make our
We are looking for an engineer to join our Story & Editorial Tools team, targeting moving data in and out of Editorial.
This engineer will partner closely with editors, artists, technical directors, and fellow team members to innovate the way our Story and Editorial teams work using a variety of technologies. Besides supporting our internal teams, this engineer will collaborate with other divisions at The Walt Disney Studios who also leverage our tools and technology. Exemplary communication skills, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities will be paramount to the success of this role.
- Develop applications and workflows for managing movie script lines and audio files that are recorded during a voice talent recording session.
- Develop applications and API’s that interface with the AVID Media Composer using AAF and OTIO.
- Develop and support StoryPad, our iPad-based storyboarding tool. This may include modifications to Meander, our Academy Award-winning drawing software.
- Develop and Support Raconteur, our primary, macOS native, storyboarding application.
What does it mean to be a developer at Walt Disney Animation Studios?
- Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
- Work hand in hand with artists and a team of cross-site developers to make the tools we need for the incredibly complex characters/environments featured in our content.
- Develop on top of a highly performant, extendable in-house application framework.
- Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest hardware and technologies.
You will succeed in this role if you have:
- The ability to quickly produce clear, testable code, with excellent problem solving, troubleshooting, and debugging skills
- Ability to collaborate with team members across different disciplines, including directly interfacing with stakeholders to understand requirements
- Exemplary communication, teamwork, prioritization, and problem-solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability
- 0-5 Years designing and developing complex user facing software, ideally in a studio environment
- Proficiency in C++ (or Objective-C)
- Deep knowledge of macOS development, specifically the frameworks used within
- Proficiency in Swift
- Proficiency with a SQL Database such as Postgres
- An understanding of Editorial processes and workflows used in filmmaking, including prior work with AVID Media Composer
- Familiarity with the AAF format and/or use of OpenTimelineIO
- Python Experience
- Masters in Computer Science
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.