Software Engineer - Rendering
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 975043BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted May. 09, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop daily.
We are looking for a talented developer to work on Hyperion, our physically based path-tracing renderer. This role will partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, other software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of new workflows and capabilities motivated by the needs of content production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The developer filling this role will use a variety of techniques including: new rendering algorithms, high performance parallel computation, highly efficient data representation, and computer graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows. In-depth understanding of the requirements and relationships for data authored and consumed by production will allow the developer to provide full rendering solutions to all studio departments.
Potential projects might include:
- Innovating to find practical solutions to problems in a filmmaking environment, providing the ability to hit an art-directed goal or improve computational efficiency.
- Utilizing technologies such as USD and Hydra to connect rendering tools with a production pipeline.
- Making improvements to volumetric rendering capabilities.
- Applying GPU accelerated ray tracing to interactive workflows.
What does it mean to be a developer at Walt Disney Animation Studios?
- Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
- Work hand in hand with artists and a team of cross-site developers to make the tools we need for the incredibly complex characters/environments featured in our content.
- Develop on top of a highly performant, extendable in-house application framework.
- Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest hardware and technologies.
You will succeed in this role if you have:
- The ability to quickly produce clear, maintainable, testable code.
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Ability to develop and optimize algorithms for efficiency and scalability.
- Exemplary communication, team working and collaboration skills.
- Ability to engage with artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions.
- 0-5 Years designing and developing complex user facing software, ideally in a studio environment.
- Proficiency in modern C++ and experience with optimization and debugging of parallel code.
- Interest and expertise in physically based rendering techniques.
- Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts and algorithms (e.g. transformation matrices, subdivision surfaces, perspective and orthographic camera models, image processing, etc)
Required Education● BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other related field required
Preferred Education● MS/PhD with specialization in Computer Graphics or comparable industry experience in a research, studio, or games environment preferred.
This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.