Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 715590BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Feb. 28, 2020
As a Software Engineer, you will focus on engineering beautiful and user interfaces and interactions. You will use your deep UI engineering and creative skills to take an influential role in iterating and continuously deploying new features, functionality, and products to our customers. You will be an important part of a lean DevOps and automation culture where we’ll be looking for you to collaborate with the backend and product teams to influence UI architecture, champion UI code quality, and to build optimized experiences for our end-teams to influence UI architecture, champion UI code quality, and to build optimized experiences for our end-users. We want someone that has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing 3-5 years’ experience in building highly scalable and performant web applications while doing highly creative, detail oriented front-end web development.
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally, we’d like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, at high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’). We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical leader who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Take a high ownership, self-sufficient, hands-on position on the team—be relentless in upholding engineering quality and maintaining application stability
- Collaborate with engineering leads to build cloud native and service-oriented UI components and applications.
- Collaborate with team and peers to build complex applications, peer review code, and suggest optimization.
- Enable continuous deployment by championing quality engineering practices: linting, unit testing, web UI testing, pipeline automation.
- Reason logically and creatively, identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions from the data available, and develop effective solutions while applying creative thinking in the design and development of high performing web applications
- Collaborate with and influence product teams to build and maintain design system standards, processes, and adoption.
- Check-in valuable, clean code on a daily basis that adds new features and capabilities
- Collaborate with engineering leads to help define engineering best practices
- Investigate and resolve any production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer and work to prevent them
- Work with project managers to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Assist in rapid prototyping of design concepts in order to prove and test ideas with end-users
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using modern frameworks
- Expertise with reactive programming using a best of breed UI stack: React/Reactive Native, Redux, TypeScript, SCSS, Jest, Enzyme, Selenium/Nightwatch, SauceLabs, Webpack, Babel, Node/Express, oAuth 2.0/JWT
- Track record of championing quality engineering: be adamant that all UI code is written in a way that can be tested both with unit tests and automated UI tests
- Strong understanding of (and be opinionated about) browsers, devices, OS, and other user agent interoperability and compatibility concerns
- Hands on DevOps experience with AWS, GitLab CI/D pipelines, Docker, Kubernettes/Helm
- Experience working with high-performing teams using Agile and Lean methodologies and frameworks
- Be a perfectionist who makes sure every pixel is in the right place
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Care about your craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology
- Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.