Sr Manager, MusicApply NowApply Later Job ID 7118097720220320 Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Aug. 11, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Senior Manager, Music will oversee primarily Disney+ titles and assist in feature film releases, under the guidance/oversight of SVP, Animation Music. Major responsibilities include songwriter and composer selection process, song and score development process, budget management, work directly with music business affairs on deals, work directly with music licensing for song clearances and production to schedule and support recording sessions.
- Manage music production; specifically, the music creative processes on a project basis from initial brainstorm/blue sky to final post-production (clarifying creative objectives, music research & casting, songwriting needs, revisions, executive reviews, rehearsals, recording, mixing and archiving)
- Collaboration with individual filmmaking teams to analyze scope of work and identify all music requirements and subsequent talent/personnel/creative and production needs
- Music research & development for each project including current knowledge/awareness of classical, contemporary, world music, ethnomusicology: music producers, songwriters, artists, arrangers, film and theatre composers. Eye towards bringing new styles of music to soundtracks
- Representation of department/leadership notes, concerns, ideas during strategic creative meetings, screenings, recordings or mixing sessions
- Establish creative templates, supervise demo creation/revisions, demo production/recordings for creative teams and executive reviews, being prepared to give notes or adequately screen incoming work in order to provide recommended changes prior to tent pole reviews. Represents creative direction to artists, artist managers, composers, editors and engineers throughout duration of projects
- Requisite technical knowledge to prepare necessary project materials/equipment/support for writing meetings, rehearsals and/or recording sessions (pro-tools sessions, midi, a/v integration, correct lead/take sheets, writing breakdowns, cue sheets, etc.)
- Knowledge of current and next generation of tech and music specific gear, instrument rentals and maintenance for external and internal equipment
- Negotiates with outside vendors, recording and rehearsal studios, juggling schedules with artists and creative team to book sessions, communicating constantly with all project teams and local project music producers
- Familiarity with applicable labor union guidelines for budget estimating as well as production strategy
- Accurately and timely communicate with Music Business and Legal Affairs to minimize contractual “misunderstandings”, keeping contractual expectations and payments on schedule and ensuring minimal deviation from original contractual description of services rendered by artists, consultants and subcontractors
- Liaise with both internal LOB (TWDC) and external companies (labels, artist management firms, talent agencies), including updating partners with all relevant project-based materials. Facilitates communication and follow through particularly with DMG on product updates, schedules, and content.
- Soundtrack Delivery- Collect and Distribute assets for mastering. Oversee creation of label copy for all soundtrack releases at WDAS and Pixar Animation Studios. Liaise with composers and reps directly to obtain masters, credits and lyrics.
- Independently influence and partner with studio executives and film makers to successfully drive diversity and inclusion in hiring music talent
- Minimum 5+ yrs. experience in a music production or related role within a studio or production environment; in depth experience working within the music industry
- Proven ability to successfully source and assess potential music talent for productions
- Solid knowledge of the film production process
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with varied levels of mgmt., talent and staff
- Outstanding communication skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines, make preliminary decisions and change course of action quickly
- Understands the global and multicultural audience and how to appeal to a wide audience
- Ability to negotiate and effectively reach resolution
- Promotes strong team building by developing solid relationships with multiple partners at multiple levels both internally and externally
- Must be proactive, able to problem solve and prioritize issues and decide when to escalate questions/problems up to department leadership
- Ability to read and write music
- Prior experience with music editing, mixing and recording software
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 95 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today it brings quality movies, episodic storytelling, music, and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. The Walt Disney Studios encompasses a collection of respected film studios, including Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures. It is also home to Disney Theatrical Productions, producer of world-class stage shows.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.