Already applied?View Dashboard
Sr Manager, Social Media InsightsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 692924BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Oct. 08, 2019
It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world-class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
As movie and streaming marketing campaigns rely more and more on effective social media marketing, and as consumers rely more and more on peer/fan recommendations and reactions, it is more critical than ever to ensure we have a strong social media intelligence capability. Social media intelligence requires two components: 1) that we collect high-quality, granular social media data in near real-time (to understand what happened) AND 2) that we deliver expert interpretation and analysis of the data to determine our “next best action” for driving a successful box office opening or streaming service engagement.
The Sr. Manager, Social Media Insights will sit within the theatrical research team, and collaborate across teams to strengthen our proprietary research with findings from the digital/social landscape. This position will live at the intersection of all the work we do talking to moviegoers, and all the information moviegoers give to us with their behavior on digital and social. This role will be responsible for delivering high-impact analysis and recommendations using a synthesis of insights from social media data and reports, digital marketing and campaign measurement, as well as custom research and more traditional market research studies. They will be required to deliver a holistic view of consumer sentiment, insights and reactions to studio content (films, series, marketing materials) and make recommendations for the studio’s “next best action” based on a campaign’s performance.
- Partner with senior leadership on the theatrical research team to foster relationships across departments (digital marketing, data & analytics, media, production, strategy, creative advertising, publicity) and assist providing a holistic “Voice of the Customer” to studio executives
- Provide guidance and collaboration with the digital analytics team to ensure high quality social media data is collected from relevant platforms
- Through credible consulting skills, understand stakeholder needs and identify opportunities to improve KPI’s, dashboards, and prioritize data collection and data delivery roadmap
- Develop, coach and mentor junior analysts to provide a pipeline of talent for future social media insights roles
Social Media Analysis and Recommendations
- Develop and implement a comprehensive analysis framework to enable clear understanding and interpretation of disparate data sets, KPI’s and metrics from social media and other relevant sources
- Conduct research and data synthesis across social media analytics, tracking, and custom research to provide a holistic consumer sentiment around campaign beats and content
- Partner with research, analytics, and digital marketing colleagues to ensure a consolidated and holistic POV on our fans and our campaign performance and deliver an insight informed “next best action” recommendation
- Develop pre and post release reports to understand latent franchise sentiment, informing each window of a film’s release as well as future franchise installments
- Track and analyze competitor’s titles in addition to the Disney titles, sharing insights and tactics that could improve our digital/social strategy, as well as flagging titles whose strength could impact our own films and series
- In collaboration with title leads on the digital team, develop best practices relating to the suite of digital/social assets we regularly use, factoring in platform, campaign timing, media spend, and desired result
- Stay current and leverage personal expertise, experience and knowledge of the general social media landscape to provide marketing, media and studio executives with knowledge and insights into waning and emerging social media platforms, platform changes/enhancements, privacy changes/regulations, etc.
- Must be able pull custom data from existing social media data tools (like Netbase) to “mine” for non-campaign specific, general social media insights not covered by digital analytics team (e.g., trending social media topics, what’s hot in-culture, etc.)
- Build relationships and facilitate collaboration meetings with studio research/marketing executives and the research executives at key social media platforms (Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, Google/Youtube, Snapchat, etc.) to continuously advance insight gathering opportunities and develop a roadmap of enhanced insights, better data, and more accurate measurement of marketing executions
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience working with social media data/analytics/insights
- Experience measuring marketing activities conducted through the major platforms including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and SnapChat
- Ideal work experience includes insights roles at a social media insights vendor, a film studio, a streaming company, media agency; or at one of the top social media platforms (Facebook/Google/Twitter, etc.); or at a company in a similar role.
- Entertainment experience desired, but not required.
- A track record of analyzing disparate data sets, generating key insights and framing findings into an easy to understand, logical story that helps inform decisions and actions
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills
- Adept at influencing and building trust with executives several levels higher
- Experience with social media data mining platforms and/or a track record of learning data mining platforms
- Example: Netbase, Sprinkler, Sprout Social, etc.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience managing others
- Is a self-starter, can work independently in a fast-moving, ambiguous environment
- Entertainment experience desired, but not required
- Ideal work experience includes insights roles at a social media insights vendor, a film studio, a streaming company, media agency; or at one of the top social media platforms (Facebook/Google/Twitter, etc.); or at a company in a similar role
- Bachelor’s of Business, Social Sciences, Data Science or related field
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.