Sr Manager, Technology
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 684510BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 01/07/2019
Job Summary:We have created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. The foundation of this creativity starts with The Walt Disney Studios where we produce, acquire, and distribute live-action and animated motion pictures, video experiences, music, and live performances. Our brands include Marvel, LucasFilm, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Live Action, Disney Theatrical/Stage Play, Disney Nature and Hollywood Records. No other Media & Entertainment company can rival the brands we have the honor of working with every day.
As part of the Studio’s Technology leadership team you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for high-performing, motivated individuals who are generalists and proficient in many technologies and languages. Our team embraces disruptive thinkers who can drive software innovation.
What You Will Be Creating:You will be instrumental in building scalable, extensible and easily maintainable solutions in support of Studio initiatives. We build and operate everything from the technology engine that keeps the Studio running to consumer applications that touch millions of people.
- Manage and grow a team of software engineers, project managers, product development professionals, and QA engineers
- Define, architect and build high-quality software solutions
- Take responsibility for and deliver on multiple projects utilizing an Agile methodology (Scrum) in a continuous delivery environment
- Be both an effective people manager and a highly technical, hands-on coder.
- Lead product management professionals to ensure we're building the best solutions for customers and stakeholders
- Lead technical discussions, be a subject matter expert and have strategic influence
- Create reference implementations (code) for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff (when required)
- Develop and mentor teams to write elegant code using effective automated unit tests
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber professionals
- Balance resources, requirements, and complexity
- Manage the deployment of applications to Dev, QA, Production environments
What’s Your Story?
At a minimum we’re looking for the following in a candidate:
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 7+ years of experience or equivalent
- 5 years of experience leading engineering teams (mentoring junior engineers, setting technical direction, etc.)
- Have a track record of delivering successful, innovative solutions
- Expertise in building and supporting software products/solutions
- Expertise in the Java ecosystem including many of the following: [AngularJS, REST, Spring, JPA]
- Experience in Agile software development
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and manage technical teams, including performance management.
- Passionate about technology and the possibilities that it opens up for users of our systems
- Forever student – someone who loves always learning
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Prior experience working within the entertainment industry, specifically in the areas of entertainment legal (Casting administration, Contract administration, etc.), talent payments (Residuals and Participations) and/or theatrical ticketing experience
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.