Sr Mgr, D&I People & Culture StrategiesApply NowApply Later Job ID 981896BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jun. 15, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Reporting to the Director, D&I Strategies, the Senior Manager, D&I People & Culture Strategies will work closely with Senior Leadership, Creative Directors, Human Resources, Recruitment & Talent Development, Training & Development, Marketing, Employee Relations, Enterprise D&I, R.I.S.E., and Communications/PR teams to foster an open, collaborative and inclusive environment at Disney Animation.
The Senior Manager, D&I People & Culture Strategies will also manage relationships with cultural advisors/consultants, non-profit community orgs, employee groups, councils, and multicultural resources internally and externally.
- Serve as a key strategic partner, cultural resource and thought leader to all studio employees and coach both internal employees and leaders on DEI topics and initiatives
- In partnership with Training & Development and People & Culture teams, manage leadership development programs and DEI training series that will result in embedding key learnings and inclusive practices into the day-to-day workflow of all teams and creative processes
- Support events, speakers and brave conversations meant to help WDAS employees deepen cultural and representation awareness
- Track and analyze data on inclusion goals, prepare quarterly D&I reports and present the outcomes and impact of all D&I strategies to senior leadership teams
- Partner with studio Communications/PR to communicate D&I initiatives, updates and employee engagement opportunities to the studio via e-blasts, internal intranet posts, social media and SLACK
- Develop, support and advise internal employee affinity groups (i.e., DEI, WDAS Pride, WDAS Black)
- Partner with recruitment and outreach on strategic efforts for sourcing, programming and participation in events/programming as it pertains to D&I (i.e., Girls Who Code, Sun Valley High School engagement, Conferences)
- Represent WDAS at key diversity events and/or coordinate appropriate company representation at these events
- Partner with HR to ensure our hiring and retention practices are inclusive, and our talent is reflective of diverse perspectives, experiences and cultures (i.e., recruitment practices, job descriptions, promotion and evaluation practices)
- Identify, develop and foster relationships with industry thought leaders, consultants and partners to apply best practices and help drive an inclusive culture across the business globally
- Partner with the Sr. Manager, D&I Content & Culture Strategies to design and support a curriculum intended to help WDAS creative teams to integrate cultural and representation awareness for each show (i.e., Encanto curriculum for cultural immersion) and strategize with development on opportunities for education and cultural research linked to specific projects
- Serve as a thought partner and resource for filmmakers from development through production and support any filmmaker needs to drive inclusive conversations in cultural roundtable discussions with internal employees
- Organize and facilitate content advisement screenings with various internal groups including WDAS affinity groups & Think Tanks, R.I.S.E., inclusion and creative councils, and enterprise-wide BERGs for films and alternative content in production
- Work closely with the Sr. Manager, D&I Content & Culture Strategies and the showrunners responsible for community relationships to ensure consistency in messaging and concerted efforts
- Build strong relationships across our studios and brands: Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Disney Theatre Group, Disney Live Action, 20th Century Studios, and Searchlight Pictures
- 7+ years of diversity, equity and inclusion and/or multicultural marketing/communications experience, ideally with a global company or production studio
- Proven track record and ability to influence and partner with business and senior leaders to successfully drive organization initiatives and gain their commitment and support
- Ability to work with many cross-functional internal and external partners and teams
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal skills, including the ability to cross-communicate complex concepts and issues effectively and with all levels and management within a global and highly matrixed organization
- A proactive and resourceful thought leader that prioritizes and assesses for outcomes and impact
- Proven expertise with diversity data, concepts, and programs (i.e., community outreach, corporate programs, learning initiatives and external trends)
- Strong experience leading teams in animation production management
- Experience with campaigns or business development strategies for key consumer and employee groups including women, Latinx, Black/African Americans, Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, Native/Indigenous community, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, veterans and others
- Global work experience, especially as it pertains to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated track record of leading or influencing creative inclusion efforts within feature films and series, in partnership with senior creative leadership (i.e., directors and producers)
- Field experience working within underrepresented communities, preferably with indigenous groups
- BA/BS in Sociology, Psychology, Communications, Business, Marketing or related field
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.