Sr Software Engineer, Cloud-Native Engineering (Traffic)
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 772910BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 01, 2021
Job Summary:As a Senior Software Engineer, you will use your deep Java, scripting, DevOps, and data persistence skills to write and test code that delivers new features for our application portfolio. You will be an important part of a motivated team where we’ll be looking for you to collaborate with the team to drive application architecture, code quality, and make sure we are building the right things for our users. We want someone that has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing 7 or more years’ experience in designing and architecting highly scalable, secure, performant, and usable web applications using Java/Java EE. The ideal candidate would possess deep skills in server side technology (Java, Spring, RESTful Web Services), while having expertise with orchestration and containerization platforms (Docker and Kubernetes), coupled with hands on persistence and data streaming technology experience (MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka).
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally, we’d like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, with high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’).
We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical leader who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
- Collaborate with leads and influence software architectures which are robust, fault-tolerant, and cloud- native
- Possess AWS managed service solution design and implementation experience
- Reason logically and creatively, identifying problems, drawing valid conclusions from the data available, and develop effective solutions while applying creative thinking in the design and development of high performing web applications
- Collaborate with fellow senior engineers to keep the team’s technology radar and architecture principles aligned to the industry and needs of our users
- Lead code reviews and provide leadership and direction to junior engineers
- Deliver multiple projects utilizing an Agile methodology
- Take a high ownership, self-sufficient, hands-on position on the team to lead and drive quality, maintain application stability
- Write complex programs, analyze code changes and suggest improvements
- Check-in valuable, clean code on a daily basis that adds new features and capabilities
- Create reference implementations for the purpose of mentoring and leading more junior staff (when required)
- Help define engineering standards and provide technical mentorship to the team
- Investigate and resolve any production issues from end user (UI) to persistence layer and work to prevent them
- Work with product managers and managers to ensure that all project deliverables are on time and high quality
- Work collaboratively with other service teams
- Have 7+ years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using Java, including familiarity with modern frameworks and platforms (e.g., Spring, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka)
- Be able to demonstrate significant experience working with relational databases, SQL and newer NoSQL data stores as well as event streaming platforms
- Have a strong interest in open source technology
- Possess good communication skills and enjoy mentoring and helping others to succeed as a team
- Care about your craft and have opinions about the “right” way to do things with technology
- Previous work experience in Accounts Receivable and/or financial applications
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Knowledge of performance testing and application profiling (Gatling, JProfiler)
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline is highly desirable
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.