Sr. Software Engineer, DMED Data Platform team
Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 787789BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted May. 14, 2021
There is a new Data Platforms team within Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) that is focused on building a culture around drive, passion, and innovation for using data to advance the Walt Disney Company business and its products for consumers. The team works with data from many of the company’s business segments and streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.
At DMED, data is imperative to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The data engineering team is responsible for collecting, analyzing and distributing data using public cloud and open-source technologies and offering transparency into customer behavior and business performance.
We are looking for creative and talented individuals who enjoy working with Big Data systems which scale at peta-byte level and extract value from both structured and unstructured real-time data. Specifically, we are looking for a technology leader to build a highly scalable and extensible Big Data platform which enables collection, storage, modeling, and analysis of massive data sets from numerous channels. You must be self-driven to continuously evaluate new technologies, innovate and deliver solutions for business-critical applications.
- Collaborate with product teams, data analysts and data scientists to design and build data-forward solutions
- Design, build and deploy streaming and batch data pipelines capable of processing and storing petabytes of data quickly and reliably
- Integrate with a variety of data metric providers ranging from advertising, web analytics and consumer devices
- Build and maintain dimensional data warehouses in support of business intelligence tools
- Develop data catalogs and data validations to ensure clarity and correctness of key business metrics
- Review data architecture and develop detailed implementation design
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation
- Coach Data Engineers best practices and technical concepts of building large scale data platforms
- Minimum 6 years of data engineering experience
- Expert level knowledge in at least one programming language such as Scala and/or Java
- 3+ years experience architecting, designing, developing and implementing cloud solutions on AWS platforms
- Experience in a range of common big data tools & technologies such as Airflow, Hive, Nifi, Kinesis, Snowflake, Kafka, Spark etc.
- Basic SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases as well as a working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience in working with large datasets (Terabytes or more)
- Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of end users and technical resources
- AWS Certifications are a plus
- Familiarity with binary data serialization formats such as Parquet, Avro, and ORC
- Prior experience building internet scale platforms which handle Peta-byte scale data and operationalizing clusters with hundreds of compute nodes in cloud environments
- Experience creating, versioning, and supporting RESTful services and APIs at scale
- Experience with container-based (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker) application design and deployment
- Expertise in Data governance and Data quality
- Experience in operationalizing Machine Learning workflows to scale
- Experience with Content Personalization/Recommendation, Audience Segmentation, and/or Analytics
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies
Required EducationBachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.