Sr. Software Engineer - Hair/Cloth Simulation
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 727140BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted 18/12/2019
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content.We are looking for an engineer to join our Production Technology team, targeting development of our in-house Hair and Cloth toolset. Our developers work in a collaborative environment in the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems. In this role, you will partner closely with the artists using the tools, as well as production and technology leadership, technical directors, cross-team software engineers, and researchers. Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
The developer filling this role would use a variety of techniques including new simulation algorithms, applied research, high performance parallel computation, highly efficient data parsing and storage, and computer graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows. In-depth understanding of both underlying mathematical foundations as well as user-facing workflow needs are qualities we seek in an ideal candidate.
- Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
- Strong mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra, PDEs, and numerical methods
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Strong software design and engineering skills
- Ability to develop and optimize algorithms for efficiency and scalability
- Deep understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, algorithms, and related artistic workflows
- Ability to adapt and extend relevant research to production-level tools tailored to the specific art-directed needs
- Ability to prioritize competing demands
- Exemplary communication, ability to engage with artists to understand their requirements and formulate practical solutions
- Master’s/Ph.D. with specialization in Computer Graphics (simulation, hair and cloth) or comparable industry experience in a research, studio, or games environment
- Experience with performance tuning and writing/debugging of parallel and vectorized code
- Knowledge of the latest publications in the academic community relevant to hair and cloth
- Experience building clean interfaces using UI development toolkits (Qt)
- Working knowledge of Python
- Other expertise: Maya API, USD, OpenGL
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Animation Studios, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.