Sr Software Engineer - Pipeline-InfrastructureApply Now Apply Later Job ID 524232BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Jun. 06, 2018
Job Summary:We are looking for a talented developer to add to our Technology team. In this role, you will partner with technical directors, other software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of new studio infrastructure to service the needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The ideal candidate will enjoy the diversity and challenges in building up and operating solutions which span the full software stack, from core compute, data management to developing APIs and management user interfaces. All projects have in common the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, using agile development methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
The developer filling this role should welcome being assigned to a variety of projects, depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include production data management and version control, workflow orchestration, storage orchestration, data mining and machine learning, however, please note that experience in all of these areas in not required.
Software engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must therefore be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trust and relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand their needs and pain points intimately and deliver relevant solutions.
- Minimum of four years’ experience designing and developing service-oriented infrastructure
- Ability to demonstrate strong software design and engineering skills; familiar with enterprise integration patterns and their appropriate use
- Must be competent in the design and implementation of maintainable code in two or more of the follow languages; Go, Scala, Java, Python, Rust, and C++ 11 or later
- Experience building highly scalable and fault tolerant service architectures
- Able to identify, research, integrate, and adapt new technologies quickly as business needs evolve
- Experienced developing high-performance, highly concurrent, asynchronous code strongly desired. Exemplary communication, team working and problem-solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability
- Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value
- Effective listener: able to engage with engineers and artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions
- Relational, Graph, and NoSQL DBs (PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Neo4J, Couchbase, Redis, Elasticsearch)
- Container technologies and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos)
- Cluster based data processing (Apache Spark, Apache Flink, …)
- Messaging technologies (Kafka, AMQP, RabbitMQ)
- Storage technologies (S3, NFS, pNFS, Ceph, Gluster)
- Concurrency patterns / toolkits (Akka, Rx)
- Hybrid infrastructures, on premise combined with IaaS (GCP, AWS)
- Familiarity with Domain Driven Design (DDD), event sourcing and CQRS
- Linux and macOS system administration
- Comfortable with polyglot programming
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related field; or comparable industry experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.