Sr. Software Engineer - Pipeline
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 765364BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Sep. 03, 2020
Job Summary:At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new solutions for unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop to make our feature films.
- Production data management and version control
- Workflow orchestration
- Storage orchestration
- Data mining and machine learning
The ideal candidate will enjoy a diversity of challenges in building up and operating solutions which span the full software stack, from core compute, data management to developing APIs and management user interfaces. All projects share a common goal of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, and use agile development methodologies as part of
high-energy, proficient teams. The developer filling this role should welcome being assigned to a variety of projects, depending on studio needs.
Software engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must therefore be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trust and relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand their needs and pain points intimately, and deliver relevant solutions.
What does it mean to be a developer here at WDAS?
- Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing underlying infrastructure through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
- Work hand in hand with artists to make the tools we need for the incredibly complex and rich characters and environments featured in our movies.
- Develop on top of a highly performant, extensible in-house application framework.
- Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest hardware and technologies.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related field; or comparable industry experience
- Minimum of four years’ experience designing and developing service-oriented infrastructure
- Ability to demonstrate strong software design and engineering skills; familiar with enterprise integration patterns and their appropriate use
- Must be competent in the design and implementation of maintainable code in two or more of the follow languages; Go, Scala, Java, Python, Rust, and C++11 or later
- Experience building highly scalable and fault tolerant service architectures
- Able to identify, research, integrate, and adapt new technologies quickly as business needs evolve
- Experienced developing high-performance, highly concurrent, asynchronous code strongly desired. Exemplary communication, team working and problem-solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability
- Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value
- Effective listener: Able to engage with engineers and artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions
- Relational, graph, and key/value networked storage engines (FoundationDB, CockroachDB, JanusGraph, PostgreSQL, Neo4j)
- Containerization and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Asynchronous messaging technologies (Kafka, AMQP, Pulsar)
- Storage technologies (object stores, NFS, pNFS, Ceph, Gluster)
- RPC frameworks (gRPC, REST, SOAP)
- Concurrency patterns (actor/agent-based modeling or event driven architectures)
- Domain Driven Design workplace experience
- Command Query Responsibility Segregation pattern experience
- Linux, OS X, or BSD systems experience
- Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure (multi-cloud or shared on/off-prem systems experience)
- Comfortable with a polyglot programming language workplace
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.