Sr Software Engineer - RenderingApply Now Apply Later Job ID 524266BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Feb. 14, 2018
Job Summary:Walt Disney Animation Studios has an exciting opportunity for a talented developer to work on Hyperion, our physically based path-tracing renderer. In this role, the ideal candidate will partner with artists, production leadership, technical directors, other software engineers, and technology leadership on the design and implementation of new workflows and capabilities motivated by the needs of film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Developers work in a collaborative environment in the pursuit of simple and performant solutions to complex problems, using agile development methodologies as part of high-energy, proficient teams.
The developer filling this role would use a variety of techniques including new rendering algorithms, high performance parallel computation, highly efficient data parsing and storage, and computer graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows. In-depth understanding of the requirements and relationships for data authored and consumed by production will allow the developer to provide full rendering solutions to all studio departments.
- Ability to design and develop complex user facing rendering software, in a studio environment. Able to demonstrate strong software design and engineering skills
- Passion for physically based rendering and global illumination
- Fluency in C++ and experience with performance tuning and debugging of parallel vectorized code
- Ability to develop and optimize algorithms for efficiency and scalability
- Deep understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, algorithms, and related artistic workflows
- Understanding of parallel programming models and vectorization
- Exemplary communication, team working and problem-solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability. Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value
- Effective listener: able to engage with artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other related field required
- MS/PhD with specialization in Computer Graphics or comparable industry experience in a research, studio, or games environment preferred
Additional Information:This position is with The Walt Disney Studios
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.