Sr Software Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764670BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 26, 2020
Job Summary:The Consumer Platform Engineering Team at Direct to Consumer and International division is responsible for developing and operating a global platform powering product for top brands such as ESPN, E+, ABC, Disney, FX, NatGeo, FreeForm and Marvel.
As a member of a diverse and talented organization, the software engineer crafts elegant and extensible applications and solutions, at scale, using modern frameworks and technologies to deliver the foundation that powers the products our cast members use every day to create and curate content for client facing products like ESPN, National Geographic, ABC News, ABC Entertainment and Marvel.
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity to research and learn new technologies
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
- Participate in the design and implementation of applications, tools and APIs supporting content management and services.
- Provide guidance and enforcement of development practices and processes.
- Review code and work with junior engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met.
- Collaborate & troubleshoot with the rest of the team in the analysis and resolution of hard engineering problems involving application services and API’s.
- Analyzing user stories and participating in sprint planning, scrums, demos and retrospectives.
- Accountable for performance, usability, uptime and high-availability for all solutions.
- Coordinating with Architecture group on new designs and foundational / infrastructural application changes.
- Integrating web & mobile application code with back-end services.
- Understanding of continuous integration / continuous delivery concepts and the ability to troubleshoot related issues.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing bugs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
- Proven experience as a full-stack developer.
- Strong Java development skills with a proven record of creating commercial quality software.
- Good understanding of Lambdas and Web Services.
- Strong knowledge of unit testing, behavioral testing and continuous integration.
- Disciplined approach to software development. Includes defining and enforcing engineering best practices.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and analysis skills.
- Experience with developing applications that interface with RESTful services.
- Understanding of PII and application security.
- Understanding of accessibility concepts.
- Proven Experience with technologies such as Spring, Tomcat, Jenkins, Git.
- Experience with cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, ECS, S3, Lambda, Cloudformation, Terraform, Elastic Search etc.
- Exposure to full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software projects requiring detailed analysis, creative/practical problem solving. Strong analytical skills as well as solid capabilities for debugging and troubleshooting.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- 4+ years relevant industry experience
- Experience with content management systems a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field required, or equivalent training or work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.