Sr Staff Systems Reliability Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763106BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jul. 13, 2020
Job Summary:From movie concept to film production. Global premiere to direct to consumer mobile applications. You will innovate and deliver solutions that support a studio whose content is legendary and transcends generations.
We’re looking for passionate engineers who love learning new technologies at a rapid pace. You should be intimately familiar with large scale data center infrastructure as well as public cloud environments. Lean, agile, self-sufficient teams is how we operate. We value a cloud first approach where we develop infrastructure-as-code. Automation should always do the work. You will be a part of the team that provides cutting edge cloud, systems, and infrastructure-as-code for all Disney Studios engineering teams.
Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information related to product, our industry, or hard technical concepts.
- Goal oriented. You develop and actualize vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect business and technology strategies to the infrastructure and code you deliver and can easily articulate the value created.
- Evaluate, architect, and build high-quality systems
- Lead the design and deployment of public cloud services across engineering organizations
- Design systems promoting rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Improve the reliability and operability of cloud services
- Author tools, leverage open source, and automate tasks with resiliency and repeatability
- Serve as an escalation resource to operations groups for troubleshooting and optimization
- Lead and collaborate with engineers to ensure services are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- Identify & evangelize new technologies, patterns, solutions, and best practices
- Lead in the creation of self-healing infrastructure-as-Code. Automate everything
- Ensure security best practice is embedded in the DNA of all designs
- Serve as a mentor to other engineers
- Adept at leveraging wide variety of modern cloud service provider resources
- Experience and ability to differentiate service offerings from three major cloud service providers, AWS, Azure, and Google
- Strong experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation)
- Skilled in PaaS/IaaS/SaaS offerings and their use by developers, studio and commercial applications
- Experience with cloud service storage offerings (e.g. S3, Glacier, Nearline, Blob)
- Strong experience moving and storing large data sets in cloud service providers
- Strong experience architecting and deploying with both in-house and third-party development teams
- Strong experience with a wide variety of automation technologies and techniques
- Experience working in media production environments
- Experience with thin client and virtualization technologies (e.g. Teradici, VDI)
- Experience writing software on, or operating, Linux platforms
- Expertise in multiple scripting languages (e.g. Python, GO, Ruby, or Swift), with ability to build test coverage for all code being developed
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge in system configuration management languages (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Experience with operating systems and systems management (e.g. RHEL/CentOS, Amazon Linux, Ubuntu, Windows)
- Expertise in Software Development Continuous Integration (CI) Pipeline knowledge (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab CI) and Source Control Management (e.g. Git)
- Expertise with Development and Container Platforms (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, EKS, GKE, AKS, Openshift, Fargate)
- Knowledge of Local and Networked File Systems (e.g. SMB, SMBv3, NFS, CIFS)
- Experience developing data center, network, and application architectures
- Deployment experience with high performance data storage solutions (e.g SAN, NAS, or Clustered)
- Experience with secure high speed transport solutions (e.g. Aspera, Signiant)
- Systems Security (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 10+ years of experience or equivalent
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.