Systems Engineer - Data Center Storage & Backup
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 787785BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted May. 01, 2021
The Sr. Systems Engineer will lead efforts on the Data Center team to design, implement and administer complex systems in the Studio’s data center & related areas. This includes physical and virtual server environments, enterprise storage & compute systems, large scale backup & archive systems and other enterprise systems that provide foundational services and infrastructure for the Studio.
The Sr. Systems Engineer will collaborate with other engineers and support staff to address challenges, plan/lead projects throughout the year, and identify long-term technical goals.
- Data Backups, Archive, Disaster Recovery
- Manage the studio’s data backup processes. This includes the design of new systems & processes based on the Studio’s needs and improving existing systems.
- Author and maintain a thorough disaster recovery program that includes regular tests
- Work with studio leadership to create and/or
- improve a data archival process.
- Lead efforts to investigate cloud migration of relevant data
- Data Storage
- Design and maintain storage systems to support various applications
- Partner with other tech teams and production eadership to design and implement large scale production storage systems
- Servers & VMs
- Work with the team to design and maintain necessary server infrastructure for the studio’s various applications. Investigate best in class server hardware.
- Help to maintain annual installation, replacement and support budget and schedule
- Lead efforts/partner with other tech teams to design and implement VM environments.
- Maintain a support and upgrade budget and schedule for all systems.
- Data Center
- Lead efforts to plan and execute installation projects, including large replacements/expansions of equipment.
- Work with the team to schedule and perform necessary maintenance, upgrades and troubleshooting of all systems. Allow for a flexible work schedule to accommodate disruptive maintenance events.
- Help to create & maintain runbooks of all relevant processes and protocols
- Help to build and manage monitoring systems for relevant technologies, including storage systems, server health & status and physical infrastructure
- Help to create an annual budget for technology purchases relating to the Data Center. This includes equipment recapitalization, integration of new, or expansion of existing technologies, maintenance, etc. Work with hardware vendors to evaluate new technologies.
- At least 5 years experience in enterprise data center engineering & administration
- Expert knowledge of common scale-out/high-performance storage systems, such as Isilon, Qumulo, NetApp or Vast.
- Expert knowledge of design and administration of virtual computing environments, such as VMware, RHEV, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Expert knowledge of design and administration of common backup/archival technologies, products and principles such as NetBackup and Bareos, Quantum, LTO.
- Expert knowledge of fiber channels.
- Strong knowledge of Linux, deep experience with common Linux environment administration (Red Hat, etc).
- Previous experience with co-location environments
- Experience with film production, CG Animation, Visual Effects, or Video Game production environments.
- Familiarity with Mac / Windows administration.
- Strong understanding of computer room design, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, monitoring, and security procedures.
- Familiarity of the physical data center environment, including HVAC, electrical and other systems
- Strong understanding of major cloud platforms including AWS, GCP and Azure.
- Familiarity with network technology and communication principles.
Required EducationDegree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related Information Technology/Computer Systems field,
or equivalent work experience
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.