Sr Systems EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 579049BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 03, 2018
Job Summary:Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world through incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. The Marvel Cinematic Universe, multi-film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our stories.
As part of the Marvel Studios Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment.
We’re looking for passionate engineers who love Windows and Linux as well as contributing to open source projects. You should have prior experience with the film production pipeline and associated systems, be intimately familiar with large scale data center infrastructure as well as cloud environments, and as comfortable in the shell as you are in an IDE. Lean, agile, self-sufficient teams is how we operate – constantly balancing the urgent needs of our Productions today with lights out solutions for tomorrow. We value a well-engineered approach where we develop infrastructure-as-code with automation doing most of the work
Responsibilities:Your passion for engineering systems is visible to your team, stakeholders and in everything you and your team delivers. You take engineering for the business seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- A master problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it’s product, industry, or hard tech knowledge, you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
- Goal oriented. You develop and actualize vision, mission, and strategy into a cohesive outcome through capable team management, tactical execution, and unrelenting focus on daily progress; you connect business and technology strategies to the software you deliver and can easily articulate the value created.
- Define, create, architect and build high-quality systems
- Collaborate with other engineers and cross-functional teams
- Identify & evangelize new technologies, patterns, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber engineers
- Create self-healing infrastructure-as-code, and automate everything
- Ensure security best practice is at the forefront of all your design
- Experience working in media production environments
- Smart, self-driven with a keen focus on and track record of exceptional delivery of innovative solutions
- Strong knowledge in system management languages (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
- Operating systems and systems management (e.g. Linux, Windows Server, OSX)
- Server clustering and high availability
- Multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, Ruby, PERL, or Swift)
- Authentication toolsets such as Active Directory, Group Policy Object
- Local and Networked File Systems (e.g. SMB, SMBv3, NFS, CIFS)
- Client operation systems and configuration management tools
- Server and client backup technologies, and image management
- Virtual hosting technologies (e.g. VMWare, Hyper-V, KVM)
- High speed data transport applications (e.g. Aspera, Signiant)
- Data center, network, and application architectures
- High performance data storage solutions whether SAN, NAS, or Clustered (e.g. Isilon)
- Systems Security (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
- Emerging containerization (e.g. Docker, Rancher, Kubernetes, OpenShift)
- Strong experience in developing monitoring, measurements, and tuning systems for optimal performance and 24/7 reliability
- Skilled in Cloud/PaaS Environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud Compute)
- Thorough knowledge of continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins, Bamboo)
- Passionate about ways to exploit technology and constantly learning
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 5+ years of experience or equivalent
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.