Staff Network EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 524922BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Studio Entertainment Brand Marvel Date posted 03/30/2018
Job Summary:Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world through incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. The Marvel Cinematic Universe multi-film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our stories.
As part of the Marvel Studios Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic environment. Network Engineers working in the Marvel Studios Technology must possess a broad view of both Information and Media technologies in order to successfully implement and support the next generation of network infrastructure and workflow applications designed to support file-based feature film production and post-production.
This position will join the team responsible for the design, delivery and operations of network and connectivity services within the Marvel Studios Technology organization. We're looking for prior experience with feature production pipelines and great collaboration skills in working with cross functional teams and with peers to deliver and maintain the network infrastructure. You will help develop effective documentation and procedures, implement new technologies, revamp legacy infrastructures, and sustain mission-critical network operations. This position provides the opportunity to work on multi-vendor networks, next-generation computing and networking platforms, and industry-defining media transport and collaboration technologies.
- Design and implement network systems that scale to support the transformation and growth of Marvel Studios
- Make sound technical and business decisions autonomously when confronted with competing design or implementation approaches or trade-offs
- Translate strategy into specific priorities and actions plan; expected to act independently if appropriate; conceive creative ideas to solve problems and act on them without constant management review and approval.
- Assure interoperation of all infrastructure and software systems in and out of Marvel Studios
- Assure readily available and secured third party communications.
- Optimize business value of Studio network dollars spent by designing shared infrastructure that can be cost-effectively expanded, reconfigured and readily applied to new digital media requirements
- Ensure reliable operation of systems and infrastructure software by designing and implementing network, instrumentation and management tools in order to predict, quickly diagnose and resolve abnormal network behavior
- Design, engineer and deploy flexible high-performance network infrastructure
- Secure and report on all network subsystems
- Forecast network growth requirements
- Manage key network vendors and partners, both internal and external
- Interface with other Disney entities and their networks to support cross-segment workflows, file transport and other sharing of media assets, devices and infrastructure.
- Serve as a Tier 2 support staff member
- 10+ years in engineering or network systems
- Network theory and protocols (TCP/IP, UDP/IP, 7 layers of OSI, DNS, DHCP)
- Network Toolsets and protocols (e.g. SNMP, OpenView, Nagios, iperf)
- Media Production environments
- Networked Storage technologies (e.g. NAS, SAN, Clustered, Tape)
- I/O technologies (e.g. Fiber Channel, Infiniband, SCSI, SATA, SAS)
- Network hardware (e.g. firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, xWDM gear)
- Wave division multiplexing technologies
- Key network vendor offerings (e.g. Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Checkpoint)
- Operating systems (e.g., Linux, UNIX, OSX, Windows)
- Local and Networked File Systems (e.g. NFS, DFS, NTFS)
- Security technologies (e.g. cryptography, authentication)
- Application and Web Services
- Video connection standards, including single and dual-link HD-SDI
- Queuing and pipelining
- Able to comfortably multitask (i.e., perform multiple architecting tasks concurrently).
- Highly self-directed and nimble to (re)prioritize multiple concurrent/competing challenges, issues, ambiguities that occur during the production of the database architecture and design
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, and thus able to explain and document systems to diverse stakeholders
- A team-building engineer with good interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Experience working in media production environments
- Design and deployment of Juniper, Cisco and Arista routers, switches
- Design and deployment of firewall technologies, such as Checkpoint and Palo Alto
- Design and deployment of virtual environments on public or private cloud
- Design and deployment of intrusion protection systems, and content leak protection systems
- Network coding and automation skills (Ansible, Python, Terraform, Cloud Formation)
- Strong hands-on support of large WAN, LAN and MAN environments
- 3rd party interfacing and network-to-network connectivity
- NAT setup and support
- Network management in environments with few tools and with many tools
- Vendor management and deployments
- Strong project management and resource planning experience
- A Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Network Engineering or Electrical Engineering is preferred
- Advanced degree also a plus
Additional Information:This position is with The Walt Disney Studios
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Studios, Pay Services, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel.
Marvel Studios, Pay Services is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.