Staff Software Engineer - Pipeline Infrastructure
Burbank, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 712890BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted 23/10/2019
The ideal candidate is comfortable working with stakeholders to establish requirements, stays abreast of industry trends, and can advocate the use of applicable technologies or architectural patterns to peers and stakeholders. The diversity of projects will leverage the candidate’s existing expertise in OS level system architecture, distributed computing, distributed storage, and API design. In addition the candidate can analyse existing systems to identify performance bottlenecks and/or architectural limitations in a data driven fashion and develop solutions which can be quantitatively verified.
The developer filling this role should welcome being assigned independently or in conjunction with other team members to a variety of projects, depending on studio needs. Example assignments could include production data management and version control, workflow orchestration, storage orchestration, system optimization, data mining and machine learning.
Software engineers are highly supportive of each other, expected to demonstrate self-direction when needed, and learn through experiencing both success and failure. You must therefore be comfortable supporting your team by bringing fresh insight for shared problem solving. Also critical to success in this role is the ability to build trust and relationships with technical and non-technical users to understand their needs and pain points intimately, and deliver relevant solutions.
- At least 6 years of experience designing and developing service oriented infrastructure. Able to demonstrate strong software design and engineering skills; familiar with enterprise integration patterns and their appropriate use.
- Must be competent in the design and implementation of maintainable code in two or more of the follow languages; Go, Scala, Java, Python, Rust, and C++ 11 or later.
- Experience building highly scalable, fault tolerant services and maintaining those services under production workloads.
- Experience designing system which leverage IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS solutions from vendors such as GCP and AWS.
- Able to identify, research, integrate, and adapt new technologies quickly as business needs evolve.
- Experienced developing high-performance, highly concurrent, asynchronous code strongly desired.
- Exemplary communication, team working and problem solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability. Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value.
- Effective listener: able to engage with engineers and artists to understand their requirements and infer practical solutions.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related field; or comparable industry experience
- Relational, Graph, and NoSQL DBs (PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Neo4J, Couchbase, Redis, Elasticsearch)
- Cluster based data processing (Apache Spark, Apache Flink, …)
- Network protocols and virtualized networking techniques
- Messaging technologies (Kafka, AMQP, RabbitMQ)
- Storage technologies (S3, NFS, pNFS, Ceph, Gluster)
- Familiarity dynamic provisioning and configuration tools (Terraform, Ansible, Puppet)
- Familiarity with Domain Driven Design (DDD), event sourcing and CQRS
- Linux and macOS system administration
- Comfortable with polyglot programming
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.