Staff Software Engineer - User Interfaces
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 843928BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Aug. 20, 2021
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology department are charged with developing and implementing new algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we develop daily.
We are looking for an engineer to join our Production Technology team, targeting user interface development across multiple domains. In this role, you will partner with artists, production and technology leadership, technical directors, cross-team software engineers, and other technologists and researchers across the Walt Disney Studios. You will be on the bleeding edge designing and implementing innovative workflows and state of the art user facing solutions motivated by our new long term vision for Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Novel user interfaces to interact with production data across the entire production pipeline
- Display and interaction of USD (Universal Scene Description) asset and shot data
- Tools to build assets and assemblies from components
- New approaches for building modular materials with reusable components
- Innovative visualization of all subcomponents of assets, shots, and sequences
- Data interaction graphs navigating relationships, connections, and dependencies
What does it mean to be a developer here at WDAS?
- Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
- Work hand in hand with artists to make the tools we need for the incredibly complex and rich characters and environments featured in our movies.
- Work with our Product Design team to discover application features, application mockups, and the final application design.
- Develop on top of a highly performant, extendable in-house application framework.
- Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest hardware and technologies.
- Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
- Experience as a UI engineer
- Experience with scripting languages including Python
- Experience building clean, functional, and aesthetically pleasing interfaces using Qt and other front-end languages
- Extensive experience designing APIs from scratch as well as designing APIs that extend existing frameworks while maintaining established patterns and architecture
- The ability to quickly produce clear, testable code
- Understanding of the importance of performant applications that meet the needs of the user.
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Ability to collaborate with team members across different disciplines including directly interfacing with stakeholders to understand requirements
- Exemplary communication, teamwork and problem solving skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their sustainability. Able to prioritize competing demands based on business value.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering
- Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts, and algorithms
- Knowledge of animation, graphics techniques and algorithms
- Experience with Universal Scene Description (USD)
- Familiarity with prototyping tools, such as Figma, Balsamiq and Sketch
- Strong mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods
- Strong understanding of coding process, standards, continuous integration and testing principles
- Experience in technical leadership
- Masters in Computer Science
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.