Staff Systems Reliability Engineer
Burbank, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764026BR Location Burbank, California, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Aug. 04, 2020
Job Summary:Do you want to apart of a team that creates magic for millions of guests across all of the Disney brands? Behind the scenes, the Enterprise Technology team helps deliver magical digital & physical experiences leveraging the latest technology; and our teams provide expert engineering services in cloud, automation, and systems reliability engineering to support the innovation and operation of The Walt Disney Company. We are passionate about ensuring our systems provide the best guest experience!
Build and Delivery Engineering is an automation team supporting Enterprise Technology Developer Tools Services. The Build and Delivery Engineering team is responsible for determining gaps and limitations in the current build and deployment process and provide solutions. The team maintains build pipelines, deployment pipelines, testing tools and other services. The team interfaces with Dev, QE, Operations and others to build and extend tools to support the organization
To be successful in this role, you will protect, operate, and continuously improve the automation and systems that run Disney's experiences, products, & services with a focus on availability, latency, automation, & cross-company collaboration while embracing a DevOps culture.
Teams are located in Seattle, Burbank, Orlando, Bristol and New York.
Responsibilities:The Staff SRE will help create, build and deliver amazing experiences for our guests, fans and businesses.
- Lead and coordinate migrations related to Github & Gitlab
- Advise/Architect automated builds and the continuous integration systems paradigms
- Advise/Architect on tools that manage automated code deployments during the release process
- Maintain documentation of the build and continuous integration systems
The Staff SRE is expected to have expert level skills in Linux and must have experience with software development (e.g. Python, Go, Java, Node), CI Pipeline tools (e.g. Jenkins), Git source management, cloud hosting (AWS, GCP & Azure), container computing (e.g. Docker), web technologies and the DevOps team culture. This position will also bring expertise on systems, network, operational excellence and application stability, security, performance, and capacity management, as well as documentation.
The Staff SRE must be prepared to work with engineering, creative and production teams in an extremely collaborative and high-energy environment to brainstorm, architect, gather requirements, troubleshoot, and provide stellar customer support. The ideal Staff SRE is passionate about constantly learning, taking technology to the next level to solve complex problems, and is a highly motivated, optimistic, proactive, creative thought leader and project manager.
The Staff SRE will:
Translate ideas into tangible products that shape experiences by focusing on a systematic approach to automation, resiliency, efficiency, stability, security, performance, and capacity management, as well as documentation and serve as a subject matter expert through internal and external tech talks and conferences.
Make an impact on a transformative team and culture by designing, building, and supporting systems for large-scale enterprise platforms for The Walt Disney Company.
Collaborate and serve as a thought partner to work with various Engineering and Production teams to gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, apply a scientific approach to continuous improvement, challenge status quo, promote a high accountability trust culture and provide stellar customer support.
Inspire and lead initial discovery, architecture, design, automation, implementation and operationalization, including:
- Business Engagement and Requirements Gathering
- Architectural Review, Proof of Concept Work, and Onboarding
- Project: Build and Operationalize New Systems/Sites/Services/Products
- Systematic Load Testing, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Tuning
- Development: Tools and Automation Frameworks
- Documentation: Creation of Application Design documents, Run books, and Knowledge Base Articles
- 5 years of software development or systems engineering experience with large scale Enterprise platforms
- Experience with Github and/or Gitlab
- Experience maintaining a production build system for a large software project
- Proficiency with a build automation framework
- Proficiency with a revision and artifact control systems
- Experience with dependency management in complex software projects
- Knowledge of static code analysis tools
- Experience with AWS, Google or similar cloud computing environments.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Excellent judgment, problem resolution, team building, negotiation, and decision-making skills as well as the ability to work under continual deadline pressure
- Experience in at least one relevant programming languages (Golang, Node, Python, etc.)
- Understanding of high availability systems design and implementation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills when working with technical groups
- Ability to produce software documentation, including writing requirements, specifications, system architecture and test plans all with attention to detail
- Ability to work within formal processes that assure a quality product and operational integrity
- Containerization and container security
- 7+ years of software or systems engineering experience with large-scale Enterprise platforms
- Experience working with ITIL and Service Management best practices is a plus.
- Experience working in a high capacity, highly scalable mission-critical web serving environment
- Experience hardening and maintaining secure systems (Safe Harbor or PCI experience a plus!)
- GitHub, GitLab
- Gitlab-CI, YML
- Jenkins, Jenkinsfile
- Docker & Kubernetes
- Maven, Nexus Repo
Required EducationBS/BA in Computer Science or 5 years equivalent industry experience
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.