Storage Solutions Intern, Disney Animation - Summer 2022
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 874041BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Oct. 26, 2021
Have you wondered how your skills and talents could translate into the world of animation? Our Internship Program dives into the craft, technology, and operations behind our animated films while developing your skills and connecting you to industry mentors. Find yourself immersed in hands-on projects and learning guided by our developers, engineers, artists, and production managers. You'll learn what it means to be a part of a collaborative team and how your unique talents can grow within our studio.
For our 2022 programs, we are committed to providing mentorship and development. Walt Disney Animation Studios' Internship Program provides emerging talent with an immersive view of animation through educational seminars on craft and filmmaking, reinforced by individual and technical projects.
The Data Center Services team provides and supports critical technology infrastructure for the studio, including our onsite data center, critical server technology, storage systems, and data backup systems. Our team is made up of engineers and systems administrators that specialize in enterprise infrastructure.
Film production at Walt Disney Animation Studios requires complex data storage systems that have the capacity for large data sets and high performance for intensive applications. Typically the preferred solutions are expensive and designed around unique products that have proprietary components. This restricts our flexibility to change a given workflow quickly, and the capital investment often locks us into a vendor's product line for a significant time period. Finding a storage solution that provides the needed flexibility but uses commodity hardware could save the company considerable investment over time and increase our flexibility.
This Intern's project aims to investigate and determine the feasibility of creating a fully functional high performance, or high capacity storage system using low-cost, off-the-shelf parts and readily available software. The objective is to create/build a low-cost and reliable storage system or a proposal indicating a range of suitable options. Additionally, this project would identify candidate workflows that would benefit from utilizing these storage systems.
- Investigate and summarize the distinct storage categories/scenarios in use at Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Investigate and evaluate products that can provide the functionality and flexibility required for a generic storage platform
- If possible, build a prototype system that can be tested in a stage environment
- Summarize and report findings and recommendations
The ideal candidate would be in a computer engineering/science field of study that has a focus or passion for data, data storage & file systems.
- Familiarity with macOS and Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with computer/server hardware concepts, such as flash memory, network interfaces, etc
- Basic familiarity with coding and scripting languages, ability to create simple scripts
- Familiarity with data storage concepts and common protocols, such as NFS, SMB, etc
- Familiarity with IP networking concepts
Currently enrolled undergraduate/graduate student studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Software Engineering or related field at an accredited college/university and returning to school following the internship.
- At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2022. Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment.
- Please note, the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. Based on government recommendations, we will determine whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.