Already applied?View Dashboard
Supervisor, Visual Devel/Sr IllustratorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 703358BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios,Marvel Studios Date posted Sep. 11, 2019
Marvel Studios is an entertainment brand defined the stories and successes of our more than 8,000 incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. Based at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, California, Marvel Studios is one of the most successful movie studios in the world, today. The Marvel Cinematic Universe multi-film franchises, led by President Kevin Feige, is a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with vision as far-reaching as our stories.
The Marvel Studios Visual Development Supervisor leads a small team of illustrators and designers that focuses on delivering high quality concept art for the heroes, villains and key moments of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
As the project lead, the Visual Development Supervisor is tasked with understanding the needs of the filmmakers to lead the visual development of a series of character design images centered around a unique art direction that helps define the look of each film. Additionally, the Visual Development Supervisor will lead the creation of dramatic and dynamic keyframe illustrations to visualize important moments from the film. Supervising the adjustment of the visuals based on feedback from the Directors and Producers will be required.
- Reports to the VP / Creative Director of Visual Development
- Leads visual development (main characters, keyframes) on assigned Marvel Studios film projects
- Main point of contact on assigned project for all department heads and project filmmakers needs during visual development phase
- Supervises a team of visual development artists
- Leads a series of visual development presentations with executives, creatives and filmmakers
- Works closely with the Costumes Department and VFX Department to achieve visual goals
- Responsible for additional visual development needs beyond the feature films (Publishing/Franchise/Disney Parks requests)
- 5 + years of live action film/games/animation experience as a concept artist preferred
- Master level competence of Adobe Photoshop, with a focus on painting
- Proficiency with Z-Brush/Keyshot/Cinema 4D a plus
- Great at brainstorming, taking direction, collaborating and being part of a team
- Experience developing highly realistic character designs with very focused art directions and ability to explore multiple art directions
- Experience telling stories through dynamic and dramatic keyframe illustrations
- Experience communicating storytelling/blue sky ideas through image sequences, rough sketches, or 3d models
- Ability to solve problems creatively in a fast paced environment
- Ability to develop ideas through sketches, take feedback, and take the sketches to a high level of finish
- Ability to communicate with artists and illustrators
- Ability to interact with executives, filmmakers and talent at all levels
- Interest/passion for Marvel superheroes
- This is a IATSE L800 union based position and is covered under a collective bargaining agreement.
- In order to be offered this position, you must be on the IATSE L800 union roster. For additional details, please visit: https://www.iatse.net/directory/local-800”
About The Walt Disney Studios,Marvel Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Film Productions LLC, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Marvel Film Productions LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.