Systems Engineer - Data Center Team (Animation Studios)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 522674BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Studio Entertainment Brand Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted May. 31, 2018
Job Summary:Walt Disney Animation Studios’ world-class filmmakers, artists and technical wizards collaborate to create the magic of animation. Bring your unique talents, passion and ideas to our team and prepare to play in a creative environment.
The Systems Engineer will help to lead efforts on the Data Center team to design, implement and administer complex systems in the Studio’s data center & related areas. This includes 100+ servers, enterprise storage & render hardware, large scale backup & archive systems and other complex systems that provide foundational services for the Studio. This role will take part in designing & implementing complex systems and creating/improving workflows between systems. This includes developing software as needed. The Systems Engineer will collaborate with other engineers and support staff to address challenges, plan/lead projects throughout the year, and identify long-term technical goals.
- Design and implement complex systems in the Data Center, including high performance scale-out storage, large virtual machine environments, backup & archive systems, monitoring systems, etc.
- Help with efforts to migrate relevant technologies to cloud-hosted platforms.
- Lead efforts to plan and execute installation projects, including large replacements/expansions of equipment.
- Acquire and maintain expert knowledge of the WDAS Data Center, including expert knowledge of HVAC and electrical infrastructure. Work with engineers from other groups to address changes & issues as needed.
- Work with team to schedule and perform necessary maintenance, upgrades and troubleshooting of all systems in the Data Center and related areas. Allow flexible work schedule to accommodate disruptive maintenance events.
- Help to create annual budget for technology purchases relating to the Data Center. This includes equipment ‘recaps’, new technologies, maintenance, etc.
- Help to maintain runbook of all Data Center processes and protocols, Lead efforts to create/update a detailed business continuity plan.
- Help to design/improve backup, disaster recovery, and archive systems & processes for all critical data.
- Work with hardware vendors to evaluate new technologies.
- Minimum 5 years experience in enterprise data center engineering & administration
- Expert knowledge of Linux, deep experience with common Linux environment administration (Red Hat, etc).
- Familiarity with Mac / Windows administration.
- Experience building and administering common
- scale-out/high performance storage systems, such as Isilon, Qumulo, NetApp
- Experience designing and administering virtual computing environments, such as VMware, RHEV, Kubernetes, Docker, etc
- Strong understanding of computer room design, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, monitoring, and security procedures.
- Experience designing and administering common backup technologies and products, such as NetBackup and Bareos, Quantum, LTO
- Experience with CG Animation, Visual Effects, or Video Game production environments
- Strong understanding of network technology and communication principles
- Familiarity with common systems tools and protocols (e.g. SNMP, OpenView, Nagios, iperf, Zabbix)
- Familiarity with DevOps practices
- BS related to Information Technology, Computer Systems
Additional Information:This position is with Walt Disney Pictures
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. Located in Burbank, WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2013's Academy Award®-winning Frozen, the biggest animated film of all time. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.