Technology Research Graduate Intern, Disney Animation - Summer 2022
Burbank, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 874053BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Animation Studios Date posted Oct. 26, 2021
Have you wondered how your skills and talents could translate into the world of animation? Our Internship Program dives into the craft, technology, and operations behind our animated films while developing your skills and connecting you to industry mentors. Find yourself immersed in hands-on projects and learning guided by our developers, engineers, artists, and production managers. You'll learn what it means to be a part of a collaborative team and how your unique talents can grow within our studio.
For our 2022 programs, we are committed to providing mentorship and development. Walt Disney Animation Studios' Internship Program provides emerging talent with an immersive view of animation through educational seminars on craft and filmmaking, reinforced by individual and technical projects.
The Research group at Walt Disney Animation Studios is responsible for scientific and technological innovation that typically goes beyond the horizon of any single production. The group acts as a liaison to Disney Research and collaborates with academia, artists, and other stakeholders to invent algorithms and tools that will help shape the future of filmmaking.
As a technology research intern, you will be working on cutting-edge research to help turn technical insight into Disney magic. Your job will be to explore new ideas in a scientific fashion through systematic experimentation and documentation. All projects require the ability to work independently and collaboratively, with good communication skills being essential. Successful projects may lead to publications and, in some cases, ongoing collaborations
- Strong communication skills
- Strong math skills
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Modeling and simulation of frictional contact
- Continuum mechanics and constitutive modeling
- Isogeometric Analysis
- B-splines / NURBS / Subdivision surfaces
- Numerical Analysis
- Multigrid methods
- (Mathematical) Optimization
- Computer systems architecture
- Proficiency with all of the following: C++, Matlab or Mathematica, Linux
- PhD level student pursuing a doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Math, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher
- At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2022. Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment.
About Walt Disney Animation Studios:
Combining masterful artistry and storytelling with groundbreaking technology, Walt Disney Animation Studios is a filmmaker-driven animation studio responsible for creating some of the most beloved films ever made. WDAS continues to build on its rich legacy of innovation and creativity, from the first fully-animated feature film, 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2019’s Frozen 2, the biggest animated film of all time, to our 60th animated feature, Encanto, releasing November 2021. Among the studio's timeless creations are Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Frozen, Big Hero 6 and Zootopia.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Content Services Co., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Disney Content Services Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.