Vice President - Comedy (ABC Studios)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 733793BR Location Burbank, California, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Dec. 17, 2019
- Implement the creative strategy for comedy series development as defined by ABC Studios’ senior leadership team.
- Track, solicit, evaluate and procure ideas/concepts to develop into scripted comedy series, which involves but is not limited to:
- Hearing pitches.
- Reading and giving notes on stories, outlines and scripts.
- Participating in hiring key cast and crew.
- Participating in key creative decisions regarding physical production.
- Watching cuts and giving notes.
- Staffing writers for series.
- From a creative standpoint, oversee production of pilots to ensure the integrity of the creative vision.
- Develop and maintain relationships with talent (producers/production companies, studios, agents, writers, directors, actors, etc.), identifying the creators and show runners of tomorrow and actively pursuing business with them.
- Interface with network and streaming platform partners to ensure that their priorities are aligned with the Studio’s priorities and are supported appropriately.
- Manage various writer/producer/pod deals with the Studio.
- Establish links to relevant Marketing and Promotions teams and keep them informed about upcoming development as needed.
- Seek direct feedback from the Head of Comedy Development on work related priorities.
- Proactively manage the performance of respective administrative assistants.
- Strategic and creative minded executive with a demonstrated track record of developing commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed comedy series.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the creative process from concept through pilot production.
- Demonstrable writing skills and excellent knowledge of script and story structure.
- A commercial sensibility and knowledge of pop culture and trends.
- Strong relationships within the creative community – executives, agents, writers, producers, etc.
- Excellent communication skills and management skills.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management and be effective in a matrixed environment.
- Ability to develop and mentor junior members.
- A passionate commitment to quality entertainment.
- Available to go on location for projects that shoot outside of Los Angeles.
- A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, and high energy environment.
- A team player who works well with others.
Preferred Qualifications:Experience developing comedy programming for non-linear platforms.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Touchstone Television Productions, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
Touchstone Television Productions, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.